Thread: Hexographer - problem of scale

Help Hexographer - problem of scale

Hi! I'm working on my very first homebrew D&D campaign - and therefore also making my first maps. I'm using hexographer to make "utilitarian" maps for tracking movement etc, though I'll probably try to make some prettier maps later.

I've run into a problem with scale, however. I started by making a map of the continent (which I envision as fairly small - maybe more GB-sized than a true continent) and then made a child map of the campaign's starting area. For the first adventure, I needed "the Crossroads" and "Birchwood" to be about 1.5 days' foot travel away from each other, so I did the child map scaling accordingly. However, now I've realised that there's only a 1:3 ratio between the province map and the continent map, and I've ended up with a "continent" that's only 200 miles long from top to bottom, which seems a bit silly. I'm not sure what to do to fix this. Do I just start drawing around the current continent to make it bigger? Is there some way of scaling "out" to make the proportions work? Or do I need to start from scratch?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Eirea.png 
Views:	38 
Size:	271.5 KB 
ID:	108169
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Silverwood province.png 
Views:	40 
Size:	421.5 KB 
ID:	108170

I would suggest setting a scale for Eirea - height and width - then re-map your Silverwood Province making sure that wishbone river is as close to scale with the overall map. you can calculate travel time by hodge-podging different online resources, which can help mapping out your province layout and should fit better to scale with your overall map. hope that helps?