Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: July 2018 Entry: Ithlum, the Elemental World

Guild Artisan Guild Supporter Tenia's Avatar

The mountains are excellent, the labels seem too present, great move btw !

Quote Originally Posted by Tenia View Post
    The mountains are excellent, the labels seem too present, great move btw !
    I was trying to fix that. I had wanted some cool, unique city tokens; but alas, they were too big and not compact at all. I've been trying to draw some new tokens, but I may have to go with the ol' dot and a name for city representation

The icons are ok for me, it is just that when I click on the image to see it at 100%, on my monitor (simple full hd 1920*1080) the labels seem a bit too big, but it is just my feeling and others may have a different point of view.

The icons are ok for me, it is just that when I click on the image to see it at 100%, on my monitor (simple full hd 1920*1080) the labels seem a bit too big, but it is just my feeling and others may have a different point of view.
    Normally my icon and naming work is too small, so I overcompensated. It felt cluttered to me, and I was trying to see if I could do anything about it, and your comment validated my thoughts at that time.

Anyways, I've been listening to a lot of music with a sci-fi vibe; so i present to you, the new sci-fi labeling. I'm trying to decide if it fits with the rest of the map.

### Latest WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	E mountains v5a.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	7.23 MB 
ID:	108933

A side note, my Gimp projoect is now 4.2 GB big with 95 layers (about a third of those are text boxes). I never knew I could make something this big!
    Last edited by PeriphReal; 07-25-2018 at 01:41 PM.

Ahhh your shading is spectacular! I love the idea of magma lakes too, or lava maybe since it's above ground?

I'm still delighted with your palette for this map. It's so good. I wonder does the outer glow on the larger area names make them a bit hard to read? Just something to make them a bit sharper might help. But I like the font itself for a sci-fi map

I dig the sci-fi font, the rendering is completly different and that matches very well with the background

I dig the sci-fi font, the rendering is completly different and that matches very well with the background
    Thanks Tenia! I had intended the map to go towards a fantasy style, but I like where I eventually ended up at.

Quote Originally Posted by Weery View Post
    I'm still delighted with your palette for this map. It's so good. I wonder does the outer glow on the larger area names make them a bit hard to read? Just something to make them a bit sharper might help. But I like the font itself for a sci-fi map
    Thanks Weery! I did a ton of research on color theory before I started and then I used absolutely none of the stuff I learned during the project. I instead just did the old time consuming fiddle-with-it-until-it-works method (Coincidentally, I feel less sane than I did a few weeks ago).
    I liked the aesthetic of the black text, but I couldn't make it play well with the background, so I changed it to the blue color. How's that look for you?

Quote Originally Posted by Adfor View Post
    Ahhh your shading is spectacular! I love the idea of magma lakes too, or lava maybe since it's above ground?
    Thanks Adfor! But I must give credit to my trusty sidekick: the render noise feature
    I love the ideas of Lava Lakes as well; but I was thinking that these would be more like seas with the approximate scale I have in mind.

I'll be a bit limited for time in the near future, so hopefully I can finish what I have.
    Progress: I have embraced the sci-fi theme, and I created the border. I also changed the name from Ithum to Ithium (It'll make sense later as to why). I've also done some illustrations of alien text and some cool gemstones that I'll explain later (I have to go to work soon so no time to explain now).

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	E mountains v6.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	7.05 MB 
ID:	108971

The sci-fi version is very cool and pulls everything together nicely, but I can't help but look at it and see one of the planes of the Abyss.
    Excellent work!

Some hasty finishing touches before the challenge ends.

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	E mountains v2.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	7.82 MB 
ID:	109068

And it is finished.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123