Thread: new brushes problem

Guild Novice Facebook Connected

Default new brushes problem

Hello,

I have created new brushes, mountains, hills and trees with about 8 images each and when I want to put them on my map, it doesn't work as I want. It only put the same image, generally the first over the eight I've created.
    What is the problem please ?

What software are you using?
    Normally, on Gimp/Photoshop, each image should be separate. If that is not the case and you took the whole thing when you made the brush, then all the 8 images should appear.

I'm using GIMP. Yes I only have one image on my brushes toolbox. And when I drag on the map, I see the eight images change every seconds and when I drop it, only one image appear, always the same.
    So should I create one brush by image ?

Yes that's how I would do it in Photoshop so I guess its the same with Gimp.

Ok thank you for your answer

If you want the brush to place one of multiple different images at random, the approach I've used is to create an image with each tree/mountain/etc on a separate layer. I make sure all the layers are visible - I'm not sure how necessary that step is - and then export it as a GIMP brush (animated). GIMP should want to export it with the extension .gih instead of .gbr, so that it is an animated brush pipe instead of just a static brush. When trying to export it as that type you should get a number of options coming up in a panel; I've found what works is having one dimension with the number of ranks set to the number of layers/images in the brush and that dimension's determining factor set to 'random'.

EDIT: I tried to reproduce the behavior you described - if I saved a brush pipe with the number of ranks left at 1, I only got the first image from the brush even if there was more than one image in it. I'm not sure what you mean by 'when you drag on the map you see the eight images change' though, as even with a working random-image brush pipe with 11 images I don't see a different brush silhouette - the images placed are just different when I actually apply them to the image.

One other useful thing, if your mountains/hills/trees consist of black linework, is filling the interior of the brush shapes with white when making the brush - this allows overlapping placements of the brush on the same layer (when you're using it) to 'cover' each other instead of having their lines intersect. Then once you've placed all the mountains/hills/trees you want you can set the layer to multiply and all the white goes away.

Disclaimer: This is all from a somewhat old version of GIMP (version 2.8.10) so things may look or work a bit different in a more current version.
    Last edited by AzureWings; 07-06-2018 at 01:26 PM.

AzureWings, thanks for your answer. I have done this, export as .gih extension, factor random, and numbers at 8, because I made 8 of each. I maybe did forget something.

Both the 'number of cells' and the 'ranks' of the random dimension of the brush pipe need to be 8 (just to clarify). Otherwise, it certainly sounds like you're saving it the way you need to.