Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Commission: Ostrom

Default Commission: Ostrom

Hi everyone!

I can finally present my latest finished commission, the regional map of Ostrom (made for Leopardi).

You can see the WIP thread here, and you might also want to check out the city of Brightwater, which I also created for Leopardi and is located in the southern part of this continent.

I am very very grateful to everyone who advised, encouraged and commented on the way to completing this map.

So, a bit about this map...
    This map is, by far, the longest I have ever spent on a single artwork - I have been working on it since October 2016! I'm very grateful to my client's extreme patience with this project.

This map was created 100% digitally, which is quite new for me.

The style is directly inspired by one of my all-time favourite map-makers on the Guild, Viking (check out Viking's Skenth and Arinthia maps here). I have always really liked Viking's painterly style, and I hoped to be able to capture something of that in this piece.

I hope you like it, and comments are gratefully appreciated (even if I don't get round to answering very often)

Wingshaw
    ----------------------------------------------
    EDIT: at the request of the client, I have amended this map in some very minor ways (only a couple of place names and the date in the cartouche). I'm adding the amended map here, for the sake of completeness The updated map is the one with the year 398 in the cartouche, rather than 2018 (in Roman numerals).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ostrom FINAL.jpg 
Views:	709 
Size:	5.09 MB 
ID:	108221   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ostrom FINAL.jpg 
Views:	290 
Size:	5.33 MB 
ID:	109749  
    Last edited by Wingshaw; 08-27-2018 at 01:45 PM.

Formerly TheHoarseWhisperer

This map is an absolute blast. I think i said it before, that this reminds me so much of a Viking maps. Really beautiful work.
    New Horizons
    Fantasy maps and illustrations.

All my non-commisioned maps are FREE for personal use. Get them at my home page New Horizons
    Get more of my maps by becoming my Patreon.

Support:
    Patreon | Tip via PayPal.Me | Buy Me a Coffee

This is a gorgeous piece of work George
    Greta job. It came out beautifully.

Mother of all that is holy....

Wow. Just... wow.

I so wish I could be even half as good. this is freakin' awesome work.

You don't... by chance... have a tut hiding anywhere do you?

Love your work, big time. Thank you so much for sharing!!

- TMK

Very nice indeed. I think those are some of best looking foothills I’ve seen at the Guild.

The whole map is absolutely stunning, I can't stop looking at those mountains ! But my heart goes for this cartouche

I second Beee on the mountains and the coat of arms. This is amazing.

Yep, this is a true beauty! I love the mountains and hills, those are the best features of this work, imo. But the rest is also very good. The coloring, the overall vibe. A very lovely piece.
    The only minor thing for me are the forests...in a piece with this good a standard, they do not measure up, imo. But as said, this is a minor thing (or in other words : complaining on a very high level ).

If i can, i'll Rep you.

I hope to see more works from you in this style!
    I'm trapped in Darkness,
    Still I reach out for the Stars

Quote Originally Posted by Voolf View Post
    This map is an absolute blast. I think i said it before, that this reminds me so much of a Viking maps. Really beautiful work.
    Thanks Voolf. Viking's work is such an inspiration for me

Quote Originally Posted by J.Edward View Post
    This is a gorgeous piece of work George
    Greta job. It came out beautifully.
    Thanks John I'm glad you like it

Quote Originally Posted by The Mad King View Post
    Mother of all that is holy....

Wow. Just... wow.

I so wish I could be even half as good. this is freakin' awesome work.

You don't... by chance... have a tut hiding anywhere do you?

Love your work, big time. Thank you so much for sharing!!

- TMK
    Thank you TMK. I'm afraid I don't have a tutorial for this as I was mostly making it up as I went along - that's why it took so long, I guess I do remember that I painted most of the mountains, hills and coastlines a single pixel at a time, zooming in and out to get it right, and adding layer after layer after layer after layer...

Patience was the key, I guess. Lots and lots of patience

Quote Originally Posted by jbgibson View Post
    Very nice indeed. I think those are some of best looking foothills I’ve seen at the Guild.
    Thanks JBGibson. I really wanted to give the hills and mountains a realistic look to them. I'm glad you think it works.

Quote Originally Posted by MistyBeee View Post
    The whole map is absolutely stunning, I can't stop looking at those mountains ! But my heart goes for this cartouche
    Thank you Misty I was a bit concerned that the cartouche would be over-complicated and not fit the map, so I'm happy that you like it

Quote Originally Posted by fol2dol View Post
    I second Beee on the mountains and the coat of arms. This is amazing.
    Thanks fol2dol

Quote Originally Posted by Eilathen View Post
    Yep, this is a true beauty! I love the mountains and hills, those are the best features of this work, imo. But the rest is also very good. The coloring, the overall vibe. A very lovely piece.
    The only minor thing for me are the forests...in a piece with this good a standard, they do not measure up, imo. But as said, this is a minor thing (or in other words : complaining on a very high level ).

If i can, i'll Rep you.

I hope to see more works from you in this style!
    Thanks Eilathen. I know what you mean about the forests: I was never quite happy with them myself. I was very tempted to just scatter millions of tiny green dots all over the map to represent forests, but that never quite looked right either.

Wingshaw

Formerly TheHoarseWhisperer

I love the river work on this. Great job!
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast