Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Dark Souls

Wip Dark Souls

Hi Guild !

I wanted to share with you the first steps of a current commission I'm working on for TheHighlandLoch in my "known universes" serie. This one is pretty different from everything I drew before, and to be honest is almost not a map, more a giant illustration, but upcoming labels, legends and other keys should give a 'map feeling' at the end, so...
    So, Dark Souls, or a conceptual map of this universe, based on a sketch provided by the commissionner. The purpose is not to depict something accurate, but more to translate the vision the client keeps from playing the game, so choices are his

Some information :
    - A3 map (4961x3508px) (posted previews are 33% of the original size),
    - Made in Photoshop CC 2018 with my Cintiq Pro 16,
    - Map will be fully colored at the end, with maybe some areas left empty or "misty" at the edges;
    - Creature illustrations will be added here and there,

We're at the first steps here : layout organisation + perspective sketch that will be redrawn with details in a second time. Before you ask : the perspective is hand drawn : no 3D help, which was... hum... not easy ^^'
    Some areas can look a little more detailed : it's where the client had some very specific needs, so I pushed the sketch a little further to be sure I was about to draw what he wanted exactly

### Latest WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DarkSouls_WIP01_by_MistyBeee.jpg 
Views:	211 
Size:	720.8 KB 
ID:	108280

Hope you'll love it !

I miss so much the so easy perspective of my Kingkel !

Its a 3D map

Great start, Misty - beautiful composition

Looking very good!
    New Horizons
    Fantasy maps and illustrations.

All my non-commisioned maps are FREE for personal use. Get them at my home page New Horizons
    Get more of my maps by becoming my Patreon.

Support:
    Patreon | Tip via PayPal.Me | Buy Me a Coffee

It looks pretty consistent with the lore.
    The level design in this game was one of the best I've seen.

This will be a beauty
    I know what you mean about missing less complicated perspectives.
    I've had some commissions that required 3d city views, and they can be complicated.
    But, you've clearly got this well under control.

OOh! Looks promising! Love the perspective, and how easy you make it look... *grumble*

I came here today to be highly inspired it seems!!
    What a great drawing! I'm dying to see the final result, but just the drawing by itself is beautiful!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    Its a 3D map
    Great start, Misty - beautiful composition
    A 3D map ! Let's go for this ^^
    Thanks for the kind words, Mouse ! To be honest, I was quite nervous to show it there ^^'

Quote Originally Posted by Voolf View Post
    Looking very good!
    Thanks Voolf ! Hope the next steps will work too

Quote Originally Posted by Azélor View Post
    It looks pretty consistent with the lore.
    The level design in this game was one of the best I've seen.
    Ah, that's good to know !
    As I never played the game myself, it's difficult to estimate this, and even to find proper references

Quote Originally Posted by J.Edward View Post
    This will be a beauty
    I know what you mean about missing less complicated perspectives.
    I've had some commissions that required 3d city views, and they can be complicated.
    But, you've clearly got this well under control.
    Haha, thanks J. ! As always I hope I won't disappoint ^^
    To be honest it's probably my first work in 'real' perspective : usually I'm dealing with isometric or rough perspective. And I could not start easy, of course...! ^^'

Quote Originally Posted by MapMappingMapped View Post
    OOh! Looks promising! Love the perspective, and how easy you make it look... *grumble*
    Thanks MMM ! With you saying I made it looks easy, and J.Edward saying it seems under control, I'm happy to imagine maybe I nailed something !

Quote Originally Posted by MysticWings View Post
    I came here today to be highly inspired it seems!!
    What a great drawing! I'm dying to see the final result, but just the drawing by itself is beautiful!!
    Thanks Wings ! Still a long road ahead before the finish

You are about to enter a world of pain ... for our greater pleasure (panem et circenses ). More seriously, doing this without the help of something like Sketchup ... you're a goddess !

Love love love Dark Souls and love love love your work Beee. So I'm pretty optimistic for this map

There's a particularly grim atmosphere in Dark Souls (you die a lot over and over again) and not much is ever explained to the player. It's left for them to figure things out without much hand holding. I wonder if you can incorporate some of that atmosphere into your map. I'm confident you will Thanks for posting!

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast