Thread: Map 53 - Xihaa

Wip Map 53 - Xihaa

I'm doing Country No 53, a little boxed in country full of exotic jungles. I'm not sure yet what exactly I am going to do with this, but I want to try a slightly pictorial map since I'm a big fan of those. The only thing holding me back is that I'm not the best of drawers, but I'll see what I can come up with.

I triple sized the starting map and made the outlines of the countries, haven't done the rivers yet. Right now I'm playing around with the color scheme and what kind of scale I want for mountains etc., so I did some rough sketches.

I imagine a modified and more developed inca culture, I want to do some temples and monuments and probably some forts along the many many borders.

WIP:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Country 53_wip1b.png 
Views:	45 
Size:	2.25 MB 
ID:	108292
    Last edited by Candacis; 07-18-2018 at 01:57 PM.

Nice to see you jumping right in.
    I like your start. I'm a fan of pictorial maps as well.
    Drawing improves by doing. I know from personal experience.
    I improved loads while on the Guild, mainly due to just drawing all the time.
    I think this will be an interesting one. I like jungle settings and pre-columbian stuff too.

Thank you for you interest.
    Yes, learning by doing. So, I hope I can improve my drawing with this map.

So, I have a new WIP. I'm still working on the mountains. I sketched in the rest. Yes, they look gigantic I started to clean them up a bit in the south, but it is a work in progress.
    I will cover some of them with foliage and trees later, but right now I'm figuring out how the base of the mountains is supposed to look like. I'm not sure how to draw the hills, maybe I will make them green.

I'm already thinking about interesting sites. I want a waterfall in the north, a castell and village in the south and some jungle temple/monument.

### Latest WIP ###

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Country 53_wip2b.png 
Views:	53 
Size:	4.18 MB 
ID:	108670

I like the style but I find the mountains are really big.
    It gives the impression the country is small.

I'm not sure, if I scale them down or not, but everything will be this big. There will be houses and bridges, people, single trees etc.
    That way the focus is on all interesting landmarks of the particular regions. In the end, it should look small/close together and full of opportunities at the same time.

At least I hope I can achieve that.