Thread: Aran & Ilan - novel version

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Guild Expert Facebook Connected Caenwyr's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Wingshaw View Post
    Look out! It's a crazy person

This is an interesting series of maps, Caenwyr. If I may say, I think I like the mouse-drawn map the most. Good luck condensing this into A5...
    Thanks Wingshaw! I like the hand-drawn style best as well, although I have luckily evolved a bit since that early iteration. I intend to use it for the A5 version too, although with some tweaks to keep everything legible.

----------------------------------------------------------

My progress up to this point:

So I had my large-scale map (the last one from the first post), and a more zoomed-in map of just the central mountain ridge. Resizing these to A5 and overlaying them one on top of the other gives you this:

Attachment 108311

I then used this as a basis for a new coastline, and new sketchy mountain and hill ranges:

Attachment 108312

Which then got elaborated further into separate mountains and hills:

Attachment 108313

I then started inking the mountains in, but soon some vague dread started creeping up on me: would this actually be visible on that small size? So I printed it out on the right format, and this is what I get:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Aran_and_Ilan (A5) - 03.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	713.5 KB 
ID:	108315 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20180710_115545.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	1.32 MB 
ID:	108314

So basically no, these overly detailed mountains are so tiny they can't possibly be distinguished on that size. Especially not considering book prints generally don't have this high a print resolution. So... I guess I'll have to erase the mountains I have, and come up with much simpler ones. A style I've always wanted to do but always kept drifting away from, and now I'm gonna be forced to do it. You see, all works out!
    Last edited by Caenwyr; 07-10-2018 at 06:02 AM.
    Caenwyr Cartography

Check out my portfolio!