Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Stevensonia

Map Stevensonia

My entry for the March/April 2018 Lite Challenge.

The name refers to John Stevenson a.k.a. J.Edward as the map is meant as a tribute to his marvelous and inspiring work, especially his Thurian Age map.

I've been fascinated by his depiction of a globe since the day I saw this map. I even joke when he posts a new one in this style using the expression "pulling a Thurian" (it'll become a thing, I'm sure).

I also wanted to progress in my handling of my ink brush so, I drew the whole map on an A3 sheet of paper with my kuretake n°13 soft brush. I had already played a bit with it but my control on the pressure and on the width of the strokes was far from satisfactory. Drawing this map helped me progress with the brush and I'll keep using it as it's a lot of fun.

At first, I wanted to draw a thorough pencil sketch and ink it like a comic page but I dreaded the result so much, it took me a very long time to start the sketch. When I did start, I drew about half of the mountains in an ugly way then took the brush and did all the linework directly (hopefully, the mountain do not look at all like the sketch). Each stroke was an ordeal as I constantly feared I'd ruin the map but it came out roughly how I wanted.

I added the black space background and the stars digitally, as well as the shadows on the ribbon (the original piece has it all by hand). When the time came to label the map, I decided to do it without using a font to keep the spirit of the map. As it was a tribute to John's fantastic maps, I decided to mimic his lettering (I plead guilty, I'm a complete fanboy) and, for someone whose handwriting is terrible, it was a good experience and came out ok. The names are easy to find save for some more obscure references. If you want some explanations, do not hesitate to ask.

I'm really happy with the end result and will certainly do another one, bigger, but with multiliners this time. It'll allow for more variety and detail.

Here's the WIP thread and here comes the beast !

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Stevensonia final.jpg 
Views:	369 
Size:	6.84 MB 
ID:	106392

© Thomas Rey - 2018 - All rights reserved

As always, your critics and comments are more than welcome.

Cheers !

Haha great , wish to give more rep !

Looks amazing, Thom. I really like the style - it definitely gives off that comic book-esque look you say you're going for. Any plans on doing a colour version? I think it'd look incredible if you do!

Also, that's an impressive job of imitating John's lettering. He's gonna have to watch out, with such a good copy at large

Wingshaw

Formerly TheHoarseWhisperer

Quote Originally Posted by Naima View Post
    Haha great , wish to give more rep !
    Thanks Naima

Quote Originally Posted by Wingshaw View Post
    Looks amazing, Thom. I really like the style - it definitely gives off that comic book-esque look you say you're going for. Any plans on doing a colour version? I think it'd look incredible if you do!

Also, that's an impressive job of imitating John's lettering. He's gonna have to watch out, with such a good copy at large

Wingshaw
    Thanks a lot George, I'm glad you think I achieved this inked comic look I wasn't confident I could pull through this challenge. I do plan on coloring it but I wanna try my hand at some illustrations first and further a little map I've started.

About the copycat thing, don't forget he's a natural, I did a good impression but with a lot of work and training. He's still Our Shiny Golden Lord

Quote Originally Posted by Sapiento View Post
    Great black/white map!
    Vielen Dank Robert Your Inkonia was a bit inspirational too. It comforted me in the idea that a map could work with much ink.

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Really impressive, Thomas. I really like the mountains (I see you've been reading up on my dental plan ).

And now I have something to nominate for 'Most Creative' in next year's Atlas Awards.

Guild Master Facebook Connected - JO -'s Avatar

You just added a new technique to your palette of know how ! Congratulations !

Stunning for many reasons ! As said before, I'm especially fond of your mountains on this one !

Excellent, glad i could find time to comment this on CG too. I would say that this is one of you best maps Thom.
    New Horizons
    Fantasy maps and illustrations.

All my non-commisioned maps are FREE for personal use. Get them at my home page New Horizons
    Get more of my maps by becoming my Patreon.

Support:
    Patreon | Tip via PayPal.Me | Buy Me a Coffee

That may be the most original space map i've seen! Beautifull work, and as i said a very unusual style for a planet view, nice work

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast