Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Umbra

Map Umbra

Hi folks,

Here's a map I started this morning and finished a couple hours ago. It's a bit peculiar as it was "drawn" with a scratchboard (if you do not know what it is, it's a hardened cardboard sheet covered with india ink and you remove ink with a blade). I'm a sucker for Nicolas Delort work and I've been wanting to try it for a long time. I finally did and missed the point completely. Working on a scratchboard is all about negative space and I'm obviously not there yet, plus, I'm not sure it's the right medium for cartography (I'll try again with home made clayboard -you cannot buy any in France- but for more classic illustrations). It was a bit difficult to draw curved lines (let's not talk about the forests please) but I'll learn.

Anyways, here it is (I was tempted to play with the lights and contrast but left it as it was).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Umbra post.jpg 
Views:	224 
Size:	1.77 MB 
ID:	108324

© Thomas Rey - 2018 - All rights reserved

As always, feel free to comment and critic

Cheers !

Awesome!!! How can you draw this fast? Did yo not watch the game?
    BTW Delort is a master, Im' a huge fan too!

Merci Robin I draw this fast because I'm lazy and want it done quick I really have to struggle with myself to take my time on maps and I can see the difference when I do. About the match, I might not make friends with this but I live under a strict no soccer policy

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Wow, that's pretty fantastic! You're always pushing the boundaries of what can be done with our art - a true innovator.

Hello Thomas.
    It was a great idea, and beautifully realized.
    Bravo !
    -- Maps and Watercolor --

In french :
    Mon tipeee : come and support my work
    https://mondelys.wordpress.com/ : Here I write and I draw the Encyclopedia of Lys
    https://manaearth.wordpress.com/ : Discover the table rpg Mana Earth

It's fun to see how a different technique changed or precised some parts of your style. I have the feeling it forced you to go to the essential. Anyway, excellent and interesting map, Thomas !

Guild Master Facebook Connected - JO -'s Avatar

I see what you mean : You're right about negative space. I assume you can't draw a map on a scratchboard like a map drawn on paper... Nice try, anyway !
    Maybe it's better to reverse the contrast and scratch the sea instead of the land ?

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond View Post
    Wow, that's pretty fantastic! You're always pushing the boundaries of what can be done with our art - a true innovator.
    You're way too kind D. I'm merely trying to perfect my limited set of skillz. I have to be completely honest, I have no artistic education at all and started drawing two or three years back when I discovered the Guild and I now have a little girl that I want to impress as she grows up

Quote Originally Posted by Narc View Post
    Hello Thomas.
    It was a great idea, and beautifully realized.
    Bravo !
    Merci beaucoup Narc I'm glad you think that way.

Quote Originally Posted by MistyBeee View Post
    It's fun to see how a different technique changed or precised some parts of your style. I have the feeling it forced you to go to the essential. Anyway, excellent and interesting map, Thomas !
    Merci Beee It mostly forced me to relax my hand every few strokes as my hand cramped

Quote Originally Posted by - JO - View Post
    I see what you mean : You're right about negative space. I assume you can't draw a map on a scratchboard like a map drawn on paper... Nice try, anyway !
    Maybe it's better to reverse the contrast and scratch the sea instead of the land ?
    Merci Joel The idea of playing with the sea that way is a great one, it reminds me of Steffen Brand's work on the Dark Eye maps. Gotta try again

Nice and original! I like the somewhat wolfy title .
    Thanks also for making me discover both the technique and Mr Delort .

Guild Journeyer Guild Supporter onez's Avatar

This is very interesting Thomas.

Although I agree that drawing cartography on a scratchboard as if it was regular paper didn't really work this time (don't get me wrong, the map is lovely), I feel like you are onto something here.
    It's an approach that seems worth exploring.

Keep working on that negative space!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast