Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My first map - Tinker's Oasisi

Guild Novice Facebook Connected

Map My first map - Tinker's Oasisi

This is my first map for our official czech campaign setting for DnD called Končina (www.koncina.cz) - in english it could be translated as Endland. Still working on it, wonna know as much advice as possible. Saying, its good is of course also fine for me, but I am posting it more because I try to be better. It's first map so I am still figuring the basics out...
    So here it is:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dráteníkova_Oáza.jpg 
Views:	225 
Size:	2.87 MB 
ID:	108327

And here I am now working on the same map at night (dont know why, was just silly idea, to have double sided map, one side for day, one for night)... :-D

Name:	Dráteníkova_Oáza_night.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	1.41 MB 
ID:	108328

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Oh that is awesome! I love all the little details, and the night version is perfect - great subtle lighting. Welcome to the Guild!

Ah, lovely work Ladislav, and welcome too !
    I love how the different areas have a distinct identity. The night map is maybe slightly too dark for me, but it may be because I have to much light in my office this morning ^^'

Guild Master Facebook Connected - JO -'s Avatar

Nice work on the relief ! It's funny, because usually we keep a face of the hill/mountain on the "sunny" side and the other one in the shadow and you used another technique, but it worked well anyway ! Well done !

Yup, have to concur with my colleagues here, a very nice first map! The shading seems to be a touch inconsistent in some places, but it's a minor flaw. I love how you did the different versions too, the night map has a great look to it. Nicely done, a most warm welcome to the Guild!
    Homepage | Instagram | Facebook | Artstation
    Just give me liquorice and nobody gets hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond View Post
    Oh that is awesome! I love all the little details, and the night version is perfect - great subtle lighting. Welcome to the Guild!

Thanks, it's not done yet, I will add a bunch of another lights, some big ones on the towers and then reskin it bit more to the yellow (with low opacity)...

Quote Originally Posted by MistyBeee View Post
    Ah, lovely work Ladislav, and welcome too !
    I love how the different areas have a distinct identity. The night map is maybe slightly too dark for me, but it may be because I have to much light in my office this morning ^^'
    Thanks for advice, I already lower the opacity of dark blue a bit more... :-D And it's better!

Quote Originally Posted by - JO - View Post
    Nice work on the relief ! It's funny, because usually we keep a face of the hill/mountain on the "sunny" side and the other one in the shadow and you used another technique, but it worked well anyway ! Well done !
    Haha, thanks a lot for advice!!! Do you have some good maps as references to study and learn from? It's not a technique per say, its just first, uneducated try... :-D Hehe...

Quote Originally Posted by Kelleri View Post
    Yup, have to concur with my colleagues here, a very nice first map! The shading seems to be a touch inconsistent in some places, but it's a minor flaw. I love how you did the different versions too, the night map has a great look to it. Nicely done, a most warm welcome to the Guild!

Thanks a lot! What do you mean by touch inconsistent shading? I know I have a bunch of flaws in shading the buildings... I didnt know, which side of the roof to shade, when the building lies in the direction of light... Only the one behind the building i suppose? Showed here down there, sorry for stupid questions...

Name:	Untitled_Artwork.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	155.0 KB 
ID:	108346

Guild Master Facebook Connected - JO -'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ladislav Karpianus View Post
    Thanks a lot! What do you mean by touch inconsistent shading? I know I have a bunch of flaws in shading the buildings... I didnt know, which side of the roof to shade, when the building lies in the direction of light... Only the one behind the building i suppose? Showed here down there, sorry for stupid questions...

Name:	Untitled_Artwork.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	155.0 KB 
ID:	108346
    No stupid question here ! Basically, I think it's what we meant...
    For my part, I found interesting the way you draw shade, I don't think we can say : "That's right" or "that's wrong". But it's true than in the real life, the sun projects light only on one side of a building/relief/etc. So, usually, the opposite side is in the shadow... But then, it's not right if you are on a planet with two suns or more...
    So, do as you like and feel ! I think that the main objective is that most of the people looking at your map can say : "This is a hill" or "this is a hole"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast