Thread: The City of Garven

Default The City of Garven

So a while ago I posted a set of maps of the Kingdom of Thayal. I decided that I'm going to expand that setting with more maps and this is the next one, the city of Garven.

Garven is a mostly rural city located in the north-western part of Thayal. It sits on the shores of Lake Yathal. Garven is mostly self-governed and doesn't want much to do with the crown. Ever since the orcs came from the west, Garven has thrived. Many merchants stop and sell their wares in Garven, before they return back home. The king has called on Garven for aid, but has not received a response as of yet. This is really all that I came up with.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Garven Small.jpg 
Views:	294 
Size:	1.89 MB 
ID:	108347

I'll be working on at least two other maps from my Thayal setting and then release them on my website and DriveThruRPG, and sister companies. For now I just wanted to share it with you!

And as always, let me know what you think!

Guild Master Facebook Connected - JO -'s Avatar

Thanks for sharing this nice map !

As usual, I love your choice of color and lineart ! I love the way you choose to treat the border... it's a good and simple idea

This is really good, Dan. The city layout looks really believable, and I like the clear and simple design.

One thing that I think might make it even better - or your next city map, instead - is including chimneys for the houses. It's a little extra detail that I have seen used to great effect in city maps (notably, J.Edward's city maps).

Have some rep.

Wingshaw

Formerly TheHoarseWhisperer

Oh, I love this one very much, Daniel ! Love the slightly warmer tone you used, and the simple border and parchment works really, really well !

This looks amazing. I absolutely love the minute details of the map and how the colors contrast with each other to make the town have a pop.

Great work again, Daniel ! And the color palette is so recognizable as yours.
    Wingshaw has a good point about adding some little extra details (though I'm also guilty of not doing them...).

Quote Originally Posted by - JO - View Post
    Thanks for sharing this nice map !

As usual, I love your choice of color and lineart ! I love the way you choose to treat the border... it's a good and simple idea
    Thanks Jo!

Quote Originally Posted by Wingshaw View Post
    This is really good, Dan. The city layout looks really believable, and I like the clear and simple design.

One thing that I think might make it even better - or your next city map, instead - is including chimneys for the houses. It's a little extra detail that I have seen used to great effect in city maps (notably, J.Edward's city maps).

Have some rep.

Wingshaw
    Thanks Wingshaw! Ah yes, chimneys. I actually thought of that but didn't want to go through that whole process and hoped no one would notice I guess I have to get back and add some chimneys now?

Quote Originally Posted by MistyBeee View Post
    Oh, I love this one very much, Daniel ! Love the slightly warmer tone you used, and the simple border and parchment works really, really well !
    Thanks MistyBeee!

Quote Originally Posted by kitester View Post
    This looks amazing. I absolutely love the minute details of the map and how the colors contrast with each other to make the town have a pop.
    Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Ilanthar View Post
    Great work again, Daniel ! And the color palette is so recognizable as yours.
    Wingshaw has a good point about adding some little extra details (though I'm also guilty of not doing them...).
    Thanks Ilanthar!

I've looked at this map several times now...
    I really like your clean style and the colors.

A minor note: Historically, tanneries (#3) were usually on the outskirts of town because they can be somewhat smelly.

Oh i love the colours of this one. You are developing you style so nicely. Great job!

Quote Originally Posted by bkh1914 View Post
    A minor note: Historically, tanneries (#3) were usually on the outskirts of town because they can be somewhat smelly.
    I can confirm that. There was a tannery (maybe still is) in my hometown by the river. It was smelly every time i passed it, but it was not on the outskirts, rather the middle part of the town, just not so urbanized.
    New Horizons
    Fantasy maps and illustrations.

All my non-commisioned maps are FREE for personal use. Get them at my home page New Horizons
    Get more of my maps by becoming my Patreon.

Support:
    Patreon | Tip via PayPal.Me | Buy Me a Coffee

Great map Daniel ! I'm especially fond of the ornaments and sea. The sea is especially beautiful !