Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A Tribute: Earthsea

Default A Tribute: Earthsea

This is a map I've wanted to make for ages.

The Earthsea saga by Ursula K. Le Guin has been among my favorite bookseries ever since I was a kid, and the massive archipelago of Earthsea is my number one favorite fictional world of all time. Le Guin's dragons, magic and ancient mystery make me fall in love with this place all over again every time I revisit it.

Obviously I was pretty devastated to hear of Le Guin's passing this January. She was an amazing storyteller and a master worldbuilder, and I doubt I will ever come across a place that speaks to me quite like Earthsea.

This is both a fanwork made purely for my own enjoyment and also as a small tribute to Le Guin and her work: this is my take on the map of Earthsea. I had so much fun making this, and I'm quite happy with how it came out. Also, if you thought I was done with the dark maps... oh what fools you were! This is probably the first time I've started making a map knowing exactly what colors I want to use when going in (usually I just cook everything up as I go along), since these have always been the colors I've associated with Earthsea in my mind.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	project_earthsea_cg.jpg 
Views:	2649 
Size:	4.43 MB 
ID:	108546

(Needless to say, © Ursula K. Le Guin - I own nothing but the artwork.)

Edit: replaced the map with a little larger version, as the first one turned out to be surpisingly small.
    Last edited by Kellerica; 07-16-2018 at 10:13 AM.
    Homepage | Instagram | Facebook | Artstation
    Just give me liquorice and nobody gets hurt.

Very nice map but it's a little on the dark side for my eyes.

I like the dark feel of it, also the simplicity. Always looking for good reading, I'll have to look her books up. Nice work, Kelleri!

It's certainly a bit dark, but it's a great map Kelleri . I love your play with the rhumb lines which focus the attention on the center islands.

Guild Master Facebook Connected - JO -'s Avatar

I very much like the way you worked with shadows and lights (as usual...) Very beautiful map, inspiring and we can feel, in your work, the respect you pay to the author ! Congratulations !

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

You know I love me some dark Kelleri maps! This one is a beaut. I love the text layout - readable, you didn't make it too light, and nothing looks cramped.

Thanks, everyone!

Oh, and before anyone asks: to those of you unfamiliar with this setting, that one long island in there actually is called O. So if anyone is wondering whether or not the singular "o" label in there is some sort of a mistake, no, it is not
    Homepage | Instagram | Facebook | Artstation
    Just give me liquorice and nobody gets hurt.

Love, love it so much !! It goes straight to my inspiration folder.
    I definitely don't agree with some of the other comments : it's perfect in the dark, and I admire your delicate lights, as always : something like silver on the labels and your logo. Just perfect !

Great map Kelleri. Colours are nice, you did cool border and like Ilanthar i like how you did rhumb lines with the circle in the middle. That focus attention on the center island.
    I have never read the series, but it seems like interesting world to explore.
    New Horizons
    Fantasy maps and illustrations.

All my non-commisioned maps are FREE for personal use. Get them at my home page New Horizons
    Get more of my maps by becoming my Patreon.

Support:
    Patreon | Tip via PayPal.Me | Buy Me a Coffee

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast