Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My First Completed Map - Map of Qilar

Map My First Completed Map - Map of Qilar

This is the map i have been working on for about a week now. It features the world of Qilar, part of a worldbuilding project i am working on. The thing i am most proud of is the use of a conlang i created. Since the people of this world are not human, and do not speak english, i thought it would be cool to have their map done in their language. I'll probably make an english version at some point however for my own reference. I got a bit sloppy with some of the labels here. The further south you go the more the labels repeat. This was because i had to paste in each individual symbol by hand, as I havent been able to figure out how to make the conlang into a custom font.

Not sure if I'm supposed to share details of the world/lore here, so if you have any questions just ask.
    Any and all feedback would be much appreciated

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Oldqilar.jpg 
Views:	205 
Size:	504.0 KB 
ID:	108569

Looks great, and I like how your conlang looks.

You would probably need to use something like FontForge to make it into a proper font (I've briefly looked at doing it for my own conlang). I guess you could try one of those simple online font creators where you draw the symbols on a template - I used one of those for fun to make one of my handwriting - but it probably won't have a very consistent size or weight to it.
    My new Deviant-thing. I finally caved.

Nice layout! Since the resolution is quite small I can't really comment on the details, but I like the overall design of this. The conlag letters look hella cool! The colors are choices are interesting as well - they make me think of something you'd find in a school textbook.

About the font thing: check out Calligraphr if you haven't already. I'm not sure if it is what you are looking for, but this thing is super easy to use and is a fairly simple way of creating custom fonts on your own. I've made a couple of runic alphabets using this, and I've been very happy with the results. It is just the kind of thing that Larb mentioned, where you fill out a template, but I've found that Calligraphr is extremely accurate in copying your letters - especially if you fill the template digitally, when you already have the option to correct and adjust the letters until you have exactly the size and weight you need. Give it a look at least!

Oh, and welcome to the Guild!
    Homepage | Instagram | Facebook | Artstation
    Just give me liquorice and nobody gets hurt.

Nice map!! I really love the style of it and how things work.
    Congratulations on your first completed map! You are on the right path for sure!!

Thanks everyone! Fully appreciate the kind comments

Discuss

Quote Originally Posted by Larb View Post
    Looks great, and I like how your conlang looks.

You would probably need to use something like FontForge to make it into a proper font (I've briefly looked at doing it for my own conlang). I guess you could try one of those simple online font creators where you draw the symbols on a template - I used one of those for fun to make one of my handwriting - but it probably won't have a very consistent size or weight to it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelleri View Post
    Nice layout! Since the resolution is quite small I can't really comment on the details, but I like the overall design of this. The conlag letters look hella cool! The colors are choices are interesting as well - they make me think of something you'd find in a school textbook.

About the font thing: check out Calligraphr if you haven't already. I'm not sure if it is what you are looking for, but this thing is super easy to use and is a fairly simple way of creating custom fonts on your own. I've made a couple of runic alphabets using this, and I've been very happy with the results. It is just the kind of thing that Larb mentioned, where you fill out a template, but I've found that Calligraphr is extremely accurate in copying your letters - especially if you fill the template digitally, when you already have the option to correct and adjust the letters until you have exactly the size and weight you need. Give it a look at least!

Oh, and welcome to the Guild!
    Ill definitely have to look into these options. Any of you guys got screenshots of your fonts in use? Just wanna get a gauge of how they look in practice using this method. It should save me a hell of a lot of time ngl

Great work in a pretty unique style, congrats Kolee !
    I use FontForge for my own langage(s...) fonts too : it's a big work to create all the vector shapes, but it worth it it you plan to use the conlang often

Quote Originally Posted by Koleeflour View Post
    Ill definitely have to look into these options. Any of you guys got screenshots of your fonts in use? Just wanna get a gauge of how they look in practice using this method. It should save me a hell of a lot of time ngl
    I can't remember the one I used to make my font. The template did have guide squares and stuff though and it looked a lot like Calligraphr that Kelleri suggested. So with some work, I think it might be suitable. I just hand drew it all with my tablet pen, but you could carefully do it I suppose. The thing still needs to "vectorize" the whole thing though which is where I imagine the inaccuracies will come in.

For my quick results, here is a preview. And here is the true type font. And I suppose for legal purposes, for my silly lerbian script font I grant Creative Commons CC BY license but why would anyone use it. =P

Kelleri would probably better be placed showing her results with making a conlang font. I haven't turned my own into a proper typeface yet. (so I'm curious myself)
    My new Deviant-thing. I finally caved.

Very fine map with a great layout and an appealing conlang .

Nice map!
    The script look like a mix of Japanese and Elven.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast