Thread: July / Aug '18 Lite Challenge: Opposing Seasons

Default July / Aug '18 Lite Challenge: Opposing Seasons

July / Aug '18 Lite Challenge: Opposing Seasons
    July 18th until end of day Aug 14th

This month's Challenge is to create a map in 2 versions. You can map anything you want, a river scene, a farm, a castle, a mountain valley, a coastal island, a town, a country, anything, it is your choice as long as you make 2 versions in opposite seasons, Winter and Summer, or Spring and Fall. I guess the prime restriction is that what ever you map has to have seasons. A dwarven mine looks pretty much the same in spring and fall so not a good choice.
    I have done a couple maps this way and I thought it was a lot of fun.

Win a silver compass, they are great souvenirs!

The Challenge will run until the end of the day on the 14th of August, (Midnight eastern daylight time between the 14th and 15th, more or less, depending on when I can get to the computer to start the voting) and then there will be 3 days of voting. Someone is going to win a Silver Compass, it could be yours!

As usual, title your threads: "July / Aug '18 Lite Challenge: << your title here >> "

Don't forget to put the hashtag: ### Latest WIP ### in front of all WIP pictures, and especially in front of your final map. And don't forget, there is a WIP button that automatically posts this for you. Try it, You'll like it!

And remember, if you put more than one image on the same post, only one of them gets picked up. SO, since the whole point of this challenge is to make 2 maps then at the very end you will have to merge them into 1 image / 1 file.

Quick rules reminder: The Lite Challenge is open to anyone who has not already won 3 Silver compasses, 1 Gold Compass, or been selected as a featured Cartographer's Choice Map.
    Also, the map has to be started after the first day of the challenge, no reusing older maps even if they were not finished.
    Come on now, you know you want to do this!!

Sounds like a load of fun! I'll try and see if I can find the time to take part
    Homepage | Instagram | Facebook | Artstation
    Just give me liquorice and nobody gets hurt.

Since we need to make two different versions of the map, should we post two pics each with the WIP tag?

Quote Originally Posted by AlfansosRevenge View Post
    Since we need to make two different versions of the map, should we post two pics each with the WIP tag?
    The WIP tag can only post 1 pic at a time so at the very end you need to merge the 2 maps into one like this:

### Latest WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fort Oric - 2Seasons-small_bg.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	1.19 MB 
ID:	108676

Since equatorial latitudes get more of a wet/dry shift than winter/summer -- seems to me the Thai boys on the Wild Boar Football team just experienced a drastic difference in their cave - i mean dwarven tunnel :-) between dry and monsoon .... that flooded vs dry aspect would make a mappable season difference!

Quote Originally Posted by jbgibson View Post
    Since equatorial latitudes get more of a wet/dry shift than winter/summer -- seems to me the Thai boys on the Wild Boar Football team just experienced a drastic difference in their cave - i mean dwarven tunnel :-) between dry and monsoon .... that flooded vs dry aspect would make a mappable season difference!
    I had not thought of that, but a perfect real life example.
    That gives me another idea, in a sci fi genre, Vin Diesel's movie Pitch Black turns day & night into a seasonal thing, sort of.....

Guild Expert Guild Supporter aeshnidae's Avatar

I'm really hoping to enter this one, as I've been wanting to map a river that features in my D&D campaign. It's the only trade route through part of the northern region, so it's full of barges in the summer and becomes an ice road in the winter. Hopefully work will settle down a bit, at least enough for me to see if the idea works on paper!

Your maps are looking good! Voting will start late tomorrow night. Hope you all can finish up!