Thread: Hellscape : A map of the depths

Guild Novice Facebook Connected Venture Quest Maps's Avatar

Wip Hellscape : A map of the depths

Hey,

So this is a map I started working on last weekend. I decided to try a little more interesting region. The depths of hell essentially. I wanted to start with a different border concept, something with a little more life so I attempted a demons tail. Also wanted to give putting my rose down first and see how that worked out. As per usual after I finished the border I got my nifty jar of clean rocks and pebbles out to form my land masses and mountain outlines. Sooo… interesting story if you can tell there is this dragon shaped gulf at the top right of the map... that happened completely by accident. So I decided to roll with it and see what cool landmarks I could pair with that particular spot. For instance I put some mountains near the jaw to symbolize some sharp teeth. Still working over more ideas in my head. But I like where its going so far. I've got an idea for some trees that just burn eternally that I may use for a flaming maw and eyes. If U look at the bottom left near the rose I am trying a more crackled and broken shore concept along with some nice pools of lava. Hope you like the progress I've made and I hope it inspires you in your own or future work.

Thanks,

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180902_185502.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	2.69 MB 
ID:	109900

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180902_185507.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	2.22 MB 
ID:	109901Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180902_185507.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	2.22 MB 
ID:	109901
    I Love bringing worlds to life with lore and landscapes
    The more unique the map I get to draw
    The more fun it is

It all sounds really interesting, Chris, and I really like the demons tail idea. The compass is also looking good.

The photos are a little out of focus, though, so its hard to see the map properly. Maybe take the next shots at not quite such a sharp angle? Try propping the sketch book up against a wall or on an easel and taking a shot of it that way - or get a little more over the top of the map

Thank you I definitely will. Had no idea the focus was off.

Yeah the best way to take photos of flat things (for us regulars) is to put it on a wall with lots of light and stand back and then zoom in. If you don't have optical zoom then it's not as useful to go all out on this method, but it still helps.

Thx for the info. I posted an update with better picture quality. Decided to go outside and use natural light. Worked way better.
    I Love bringing worlds to life with lore and landscapes
    The more unique the map I get to draw
    The more fun it is