Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: A new town

First of all, thanks Tonquani for the kind words!

Now, as i started the lower town, i came to realize that there is a bit of planning to be done, and along with that a few decisions, with which i need help. Some people might already think 'holy ****, that is an awful lot of churches!', in fact it seems over the top for a town that is not that huge, but in this case - having a bishop's town - there are a lot of special religious functions that have quite often no real relation to the religious needs of the population.

As i tried to introduce my plans with that explanation, i have planned quite a few more religious buildings in the lower town, and about at least one of them i'm unsure if it's good or necessary to add it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Stadt3x.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	2.60 MB 
ID:	108759

The one i'm talking about is the collegiate/monastery church i planned on the left. So what do you think, is it a good idea to have it there or does it get too much?

Other than that, i'll work my way through that intricate road layout, which doesn't even allow me to guess what that part of the town will look like in the end. One thing is for sure though - there will be a lot of vineyards.
    Last edited by Chlodowech; 07-21-2018 at 08:16 AM.

That looks already impressive - all the more as I always struggle a lot with perspective. You have my deepest admiration for being able to lay out a city like this.

In my opinion the church on the left would be too much.

So gorgeous already! Great job. I see you've indicated the possibility of a tower near the bridge. I love the bridge as it is, it's really characterful. But if you drew a tower maybe that would make it even better. No harm in seeing what it looks like

Thanks alot Neyasha and Weery, and in fact, i‘ve taken both your advices into consideration - the bridge tower is done and the church on the left will not happen.

Otherwise there hasn’t been much progress today either, only a few suburb houses and the already mentioned bridge tower.

Name:	056BA974-6F0F-4AC8-8C12-573EF3570907.jpeg 
Views:	71 
Size:	1.86 MB 
ID:	108769

PS: Now that i've started with drawing a wagon in front of the gate, i probably gotta add tiny people and a market somewhere as well
    Last edited by Chlodowech; 07-21-2018 at 06:28 PM.

Progress on the lower town is slower, since its perspective is a lot more complicated, but by now i‘ve almost reached the town walls.

Name:	7075FF49-3F22-43D4-9865-CE623B7B5276.jpeg 
Views:	67 
Size:	2.45 MB 
ID:	108789

Half a day later - the road system has got its final shape, the shapes of a large part of the lower town plus a monastery and a small moated tower house are defined. The detailing however will still take quite a while. Other than that, i‘ve started setting up a decorative frame for the drawing, since it‘s supposed to become a proper veduta and not just a more or less sheet-filling something of a town drawing.

Name:	8E110373-B42C-4EA8-A8F5-F864AF562A96.jpeg 
Views:	313 
Size:	2.63 MB 
ID:	108795

Guild Expert Facebook Connected XCali's Avatar

Wonderful progress! Love it.

Tell me are you still on just pencil or are you penning in the fine details already?

~ Maps-DriveThruRPG ~Free Maps and Assets ~Current Project ~

My web novels
    Instagram handle: instagram.com/omrihope
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ~The heavens declare the glory of God;
    the skies proclaim the work of His hands.
    Day after day they pour forth speech;
    night after night they reveal knowledge.
    ~ Psalm 19

Guild Adept Facebook Connected Mimine's Avatar

Very beautiful town, I love your cathedral, it looks so majestic!
    Si tu n'as rien fait pour ton rêve aujourd'hui, est-ce que c'est vraiment ton rêve? - Fred Pellerin

Twitter -> https://twitter.com/benoit_janie

Thank you for the kind words XCali and Mimine!
    To answer your question- this is all the equipment that i‘m using.

Name:	FD3B363F-300A-406B-81C3-93C28E77BA29.jpeg 
Views:	63 
Size:	2.28 MB 
ID:	108797
    Last edited by Chlodowech; 07-22-2018 at 02:42 PM.

As i'm starting to get more of the town completed, i also spent some thoughts on designing a border for the map. Since the drawing is showing a town by the early 16th century, i want to go for a decorative style that matches the period - so i looked for examples in some manuscripts of that time. And now i've got a problem - i've found too many nice possibilites - so i made a small collection of the ones i like most, and i'd like to ask whoever wants to answer which one you like most.

Name:	Rahmen.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	451.2 KB 
ID:	108799

[there should be no more copyright on a 1513's document, so i guess i'm good to go with directly inserting the image here. If not, please tell me, and i'll change it]

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast