Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: A new town

This thread is a gem, thanks for sharing Chlodowech, I'll seat back, pour me some good wine and watch in delight

Thank you very much! To give you a bit more to look at, i‘m gonna share two more details that i just finished - the tower house and the monastery.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	904DB54A-5D71-41BD-B04D-FEF3A2982C05.jpeg 
Views:	58 
Size:	2.51 MB 
ID:	108800

Name:	27A8283D-A102-4A07-8DF0-5CF6B6CFD183.jpeg 
Views:	51 
Size:	2.56 MB 
ID:	108801

I'm probably too late in the party, but maybe something like a market or a jousting field (I'm pretty sure it's not the appropriate word thought ^^) can break the "too many churches" effect and balance it for something more secular ?
    The border/corners inspirations you found are amazing (and I stole them for my own reference folder ). If I can say... As the both on the left side have a very similar structure, I would assume you already made your choice, even if you don't know it yet
    Anyway, I'm amazed by your work and can't wait to see more !

As you predicted it, i have already made my choice and started to draw it, it‘s become on of the tracery ones

Otherwise the jousting ground is a good idea, i just have to find a good place for it, maybe on the other bank of the river, while a market is already planned on the main square of the lower town.

Name:	5B1CD432-6F16-4E35-BE39-281924EF5BEA.jpeg 
Views:	63 
Size:	2.59 MB 
ID:	108824

Btw, the source i got those borders from is the „Luzerner Chronik“ (Luzern Chronicles) by Diebold Schilling, published in 1513. it has been completely digitalized and can be found on a website called E-Codices (a german one if i remember correctly).

PS: Thanks for the kind words at the end

PPS: Got the link for that website, and it is not german but swiss http://www.e-codices.unifr.ch/de/kol.../Sequence-1291
    Last edited by Chlodowech; 07-23-2018 at 04:38 AM.

If I just have to say "I can't wait to see more" to see you post in the minute, be prepared to read me writing it twice a day !!
    Thanks a lot for the reference link : the best part with Swiss website is they're almost always in several langages : they're a link above for French version in my case \o/

Your border is a real jewel and works really well, but the whole map is a marvel and just makes me want to forgot my work, jump in the car and cross the frontier for a German journey !
    So... 'cant wait to see the next steps !

Why would you cross the frontier for that? You seem to live on the better side of the rhine valley, the alsace - just go to Wissembourg and you'll find about 30 medieval wooden houses like these (once made a list) and numerous more stone houses of that time plus - who would guess that a ton of medieval churches. Same for Kaysersberg, Bergheim, Riquewihr, and even Strasbourg itself has got a decent amount of medieval houses left, wooden ones as well as stone houses.

And if you really want to cross the border, go to Altensteig in the black forest, its old town is tiny, but 60-70% 15th century houses and a castle.

PS: I'll probably find a place on the drawing to include this incredibly well preserved 15th century house from Kaysersberg (rue de l'ancien hôpital)
    Last edited by Chlodowech; 07-23-2018 at 05:29 AM.

Oooh, I'm the most partial person in the world about my region : Alsace is the most amazing, beautiful and fascinating place for me and I'm a pure product of it for many reasons : the architecture, the History, the culture, the duality in so many aspects are a constant source of discoveries and thinking. Alsace forged me and is thrilling me everyday. I spend every weekend in visiting it from museum to small villages, Vosges, churches, ruined castles..., and I discover something new everytime. I'm between Strasbourg and Wissembourg right now, but lived on the Wine Road half of my life, and a few years in Colmar too, so I know every single town you mentioned and can add some more to your list (including my favourites : Turkheim and Eguisheim) : there is treasures in alsacian villages, some visible, many hidden.
    But it's precisely because I'm deeply in love with Alsace and because I know it very well that I love going in Germany : I love looking for the details that makes architecture similar and different as we go further East, I love to see what Alsace took from Germany and France (and Switzerland, and Celtic and Norse cultures too), and what is exclusively Alsacian. Alsace is the center of a cultural giant spider web : following every branch is my favorite hobby (and now you understand why it's a bad idea to talk to me about Alsace : I'm inexhaustible ! "Misty" in my name is a reference to the unique blue mist on the Vosges : you know it if you lived in Strasbourg ! ^^).
    Language is also one of the reason why I love to go in Germany. I can read german a little and understand it sometimes, but it gives me the feeling to be in a "Fantasy Alsace", something a little more exotic for me who is so accustomed to the real one. Without reading, without listening, sometimes without understanding, it's just my eyes and my brain for understanding what's around me, and I love that
    And... France destroyed all our castles, while yours are still there : how to not love Germany when there is there something like the Drachenburg castle ? I visited (once again...!) the Haut Koenigsbourg last Friday : the one who doesn't admit Germany is great for castles is an idiot ! ^^
    A huge thanks for the candy : thanks to you I added Altensteig to my "Weekend potential adventures" list (and as there is Freudenstadt on it, I can hit two targets with one stone) ! Maybe the next one ?

Sounds like you gotta look for a commission to do a map of an Alsacian town

Haha, I'm pretty sure it would be a very bad idea. I'm already awfully perfectionnist, but I can't imagine what kind of devil I would be for an Alsacian map !! ^^'

Back to the mapdrawing

Now that the very most of the lower towns‘ houses are defined, i started to get the whole to its final level of detail. This photo shows the small bit where the detailing is done so far.

Name:	7B1F8233-FCF0-4308-92C0-44E40A272463.jpeg 
Views:	57 
Size:	2.77 MB 
ID:	108836

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast