Thread: Help with GIMP

Default Help with GIMP

I am following the saderan tutorial, except in GIMP. In order to create continents, I used the cloud filter. On my other computer (Version 2., when I use the cloud filter it opens a new window to edit the filter's size and detail. On my main computer (Version 2.10.4), it does not. Is there a way to turn this on?

Blog Entries

gimp 2.8 and 2.10 are VERY!!!!!! different tools

so things are a bit different

so two different machines are giving you different results
    - --what do you expect ----

PS. one or more too many beers , tonight

in a day or so , ask me anything , i have been using gimp since 2001/2002
    Last edited by johnvanvliet; 07-19-2018 at 12:58 AM.
    --- 90 seconds to Midnight ---
    --------

--- Penguin power!!! ---

I just want to be able to edit the clouds filter. I know you can do it on 2.10.4 because I did it at first, but I don't know how and can't reproduce it. Other filters open the edit menu when you use them, as in 2.8 with the clouds.

Just for clarification, I am talking about the window that opens. It has a preview of the filter's effect, and allows me to edit the detail and size, among other things.

In 2.10.2 (which I'm using) Clouds are not a GEGL function under Filter->Render->Noise->Solid Noise and there is a selector that displays a full layer/selection preview or not. There is no preview in the dialog itself.

-Rob A>

Quote Originally Posted by RobA View Post
    In 2.10.2 (which I'm using) Clouds are not a GEGL function under Filter->Render->Noise->Solid Noise and there is a selector that displays a full layer/selection preview or not. There is no preview in the dialog itself.

-Rob A>
    I think it is a GEGL filter.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	a49.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	354.8 KB 
ID:	108934
    In 16 bit float the histogram suggests the solid noise filter is greater than 8 bit, so I think it must be GEGL, and there is the little "G" symbol in the dialog box.

Name:	a50.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	46.1 KB 
ID:	108935
    Last edited by Sam101; 07-25-2018 at 01:41 PM.

I used to use the differnce clouds plugin a lot in 2.8 for randomization effects; however, since it's been gone, I've used the render noise plugin in 2.10. I think render noise is essentially the same functionality of render clouds now (although, there are probably a bunch of technical differences that I don't know about).

To generate the "clouds" i would recommend this:

create a new layer called "clouds"

generate random noise using
    Filters > Render > Noise > Render Noise;
    adjust the paramaters to your liking then click ok.
    (I would recommend a high detail, low X and Y resolution setting)

Then, use the threshold plugin
    Colors > Threshold
    Adjust to your liking.

Hope this helps

Quote Originally Posted by Sam101 View Post
    I think it is a GEGL filter.

Name:	a49.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	354.8 KB 
ID:	108934
    In 16 bit float the histogram suggests the solid noise filter is greater than 8 bit, so I think it must be GEGL, and there is the little "G" symbol in the dialog box.

Name:	a50.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	46.1 KB 
ID:	108935
    Sorry, yes, I actually meant it is a GEGL function, as they l display previews on the active layer. It is the older ones that had an in-dialog preview.

Fingers were moving faster then my brain, and I failed to proof, sorry for any confusion.

-RobA>

I think this is what you were getting at:

Render>Solid Noise has a G next to it, while Difference clouds has gears. I guess the gears don't get a dialogue box. It doesn't matter, because the Solid Noise was what I wanted anyways. Thanks!

I am trying to get the Layer Effects plugin for GIMP now. Is the plugin registry no longer active? Where can plugins be downloaded from?

Blog Entries

I am trying to get the Layer Effects plugin for GIMP now. Is the plugin registry no longer active? Where can plugins be downloaded from?
    most of the 2.6 and 2.8 plugins in "the plugin registry" do not work in 2.10
    it is offline as far as i know

to bring up the layer window hit < control > + < l > keys
    --- 90 seconds to Midnight ---
    --------

--- Penguin power!!! ---