Thread: Help with GIMP

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by RobA View Post
    In 2.10.2 (which I'm using) Clouds are not a GEGL function under Filter->Render->Noise->Solid Noise and there is a selector that displays a full layer/selection preview or not. There is no preview in the dialog itself.

-Rob A>
    I think it is a GEGL filter.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	a49.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	354.8 KB 
ID:	108934
    In 16 bit float the histogram suggests the solid noise filter is greater than 8 bit, so I think it must be GEGL, and there is the little "G" symbol in the dialog box.

Name:	a50.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	46.1 KB 
ID:	108935
    Last edited by Sam101; 07-25-2018 at 01:41 PM.

I used to use the differnce clouds plugin a lot in 2.8 for randomization effects; however, since it's been gone, I've used the render noise plugin in 2.10. I think render noise is essentially the same functionality of render clouds now (although, there are probably a bunch of technical differences that I don't know about).

To generate the "clouds" i would recommend this:

create a new layer called "clouds"

generate random noise using
    Filters > Render > Noise > Render Noise;
    adjust the paramaters to your liking then click ok.
    (I would recommend a high detail, low X and Y resolution setting)

Then, use the threshold plugin
    Colors > Threshold
    Adjust to your liking.

Hope this helps

Quote Originally Posted by Sam101 View Post
    I think it is a GEGL filter.

Name:	a49.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	354.8 KB 
ID:	108934
    In 16 bit float the histogram suggests the solid noise filter is greater than 8 bit, so I think it must be GEGL, and there is the little "G" symbol in the dialog box.

Name:	a50.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	46.1 KB 
ID:	108935
    Sorry, yes, I actually meant it is a GEGL function, as they l display previews on the active layer. It is the older ones that had an in-dialog preview.

Fingers were moving faster then my brain, and I failed to proof, sorry for any confusion.

-RobA>

I think this is what you were getting at:

Render>Solid Noise has a G next to it, while Difference clouds has gears. I guess the gears don't get a dialogue box. It doesn't matter, because the Solid Noise was what I wanted anyways. Thanks!

I am trying to get the Layer Effects plugin for GIMP now. Is the plugin registry no longer active? Where can plugins be downloaded from?