Thread: Strange artifacts in FT3

Help Strange artifacts in FT3

I'm having some strange things happening to me in FT3. Some maps I generate are getting weird artifacts such as these.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MenV3pk.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	124.0 KB 
ID:	108470
    This is using the Wilbur Ridged Multifractal method if that has any significance

I have seen that kind of error before, but I don't recall the underlying cause or a solution. Are you running the most recent (3.0.20) version of FT3 from ProFantasy's web site?

As far as I am aware I'm running the latest version of the program. I downloaded it just the other day.

You can check your version number using Help>>About. It should be version 3.0.21.

Your map doesn't look particularly zoomed-in, but try this:
    a) Map>>World Settings to bring up the World Settings property sheet.
    b) On the Fractal Function page, click the "Parms" button next to "Method" to bring up the fractal function editing dialog (the window should have the title "Wilbur Ridged Multifractal").
    c) Make sure that the "Octaves" value isn't higher than about 12 due to numeric instability issues with that fractal function.

If possible, I would recommend changing to the "RMF with Perlin's Improved Noise" fractal method if you can. The worlds will be different, but the fractal functions with "Perlin's Improved Noise" are better behaved for higher zooms than the other types. The number of octaves is related to the amount of visible detail at higher zooms (more octaves gives more detail, but costs more time to execute).

If the octaves thing doesn't help:

What processor are you using?

What's your screen resolution?