Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: July 2018 Challenge: Somewhere on Knightswall Road

Guild Expert Guild Supporter aeshnidae's Avatar

This might be as finished as it gets, although hopefully I'll have some time to work on the shadows and the trees. I like the last version of trees better but I screwed up my layers and couldn't fix some of the problem areas so I re-did them (ugh, trees). Thanks for all the feedback, it was very helpful! For a first try at this particular style, I think it came out pretty well.

### Latest WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hillside v12 (sm).jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	3.88 MB 
ID:	109049
    Last edited by aeshnidae; 07-30-2018 at 08:24 PM.

This is looking fantastic now. Much improved shadows and the waterwheel is now perfect. Probably the only thing that I would still do if I was you (If you have time), is to slightly lighten the light-side of the trees. That way they won’t look quite so flat. The dodge/burn too l works really well for this, although that’s in GIMP - I have no idea whether PS has an equivalent tool.

Anyway, I will be voting for this!

Quote Originally Posted by Tonquani View Post
    This is looking fantastic now. Much improved shadows and the waterwheel is now perfect. Probably the only thing that I would still do if I was you (If you have time), is to slightly lighten the light-side of the trees. That way they won’t look quite so flat. The dodge/burn too l works really well for this, although that’s in GIMP - I have no idea whether PS has an equivalent tool.

Anyway, I will be voting for this!
    Thanks, Tonquani! Great minds think alike, because lightening up the light-facing side of the trees is exactly what I'd like to do. PS does have the dodge/burn tool. I've been trying to heed MistyBeee's advice on proper digital painting (especially #8 and #9 here) but time is short, so dodge & burn it is! I've been using a separate layer for that so I can always go back and practice proper technique.

I'll be voting for your entry, too!

Just a quick message before the threads will be locked, to tell you how much great work you did on this one ! I think you should definitely persevere on this style : it suits you well !
    (Also, did I already told you I love your compass ? ).

Thanks, MistyBeee! I appreciate all of the advice you gave me, which most definitely made this map a lot better than it would be otherwise! I really do like this style and think I'll practice it by re-doing my other Barony of Northcliffe maps in the same style (Hillside is part of that barony, although I haven't noted that on this map). Have you mentioned loving my compass? Hmm, I may recall some mention of that... But seriously, I'm delighted that you like it so much!

bkh1914 - Thanks for the input about the image hose, too! PS does not have quite the same thing, but I started learning how to use the dual brush on this map and it was super helpful for both the grass and the farms.

Managed to squeeze in some final work on the trees before the deadline. Phew!

### Latest WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hillside v13 (sm).jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	3.46 MB 
ID:	109099

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234