Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Doodle-Land

Default Doodle-Land

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190202_081333_876.jpg 
Views:	132 
Size:	5.36 MB 
ID:	113029

Welcome to Doodle-Land! Where nothing is named, and everything is experimental! While I'm still working on a larger map, I decided to try out some new ideas. Like playing around with the perspective, on those banners; as you can tell, I went with simple geometric shapes because I don't know what the hell I was doing XD. (it's supposed to look like a huge banner pole, stuck into the earth. Not a goddamn pin stuck into the paper, although that may be what it seems). Looking at it in its entirety, I may have put in too many mountains/hills. And the rivers have a *lot* of curves (not that there's anything wrong with that, I would never dream of body-shaming my rivers).

On a more serious note, all the maps I've made previously, weren't exactly "original", in the strictest sense of the word. I've always had references to work off of, cartographers who have been doing this far longer than I have, to take inspiration from. Those single perspective banner poles represent something that I (finally) thought of, on my own. I'm sure it's been done before, but it's something I didn't use references for. As a result, I'm sure there are a fair number of mistakes in it XD.

Ah well. Doodle-Land. Criticism and suggestions appreciated.

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

The perspective on the poles is subtle, but once you notice it, it really makes things pop. Very cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond View Post
    The perspective on the poles is subtle, but once you notice it, it really makes things pop. Very cool.
    Yes, the pole doesn't exactly stand out, per se. Would you recommend I exaggerate the perspective on the pole? Or perhaps change the shading, somewhere?

Nice, I really like the mountains here. And the banners are a nice touch!
    Homepage | Instagram | Facebook | Artstation
    Just give me liquorice and nobody gets hurt.

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Arimel's Avatar

I really like the mountains in this doodle-land and the fact that the compass is canted is also rather unique. I must say that the river(s) is/are bothering me though (more than 1 sea exit). On the whole the map looks really nice!

I think the poles are really cool, perspective isn't something I'm great at so hats off to you!

Quote Originally Posted by Kellerica View Post
    Nice, I really like the mountains here. And the banners are a nice touch!
    Thank you, much appreciated. Yeah, I tried a bit of cross hatching on the mountains, although in hindsight I probably should have put.... Less of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Arimel View Post
    I really like the mountains in this doodle-land and the fact that the compass is canted is also rather unique. I must say that the river(s) is/are bothering me though (more than 1 sea exit). On the whole the map looks really nice!
    I just realized my mistake XD. I went a bit overboard in trying to stylise the rivers. Thank you for the kind words, and the reps.

Quote Originally Posted by Domino44 View Post
    I think the poles are really cool, perspective isn't something I'm great at so hats off to you!
    I'm still trying to figure out how to get the poles to stand out, more. And how to make them look less like pins, and more like actual banner-poles sticking out of the ground. Thank you for the kind words, by the way, and the reps. Much appreciated.

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

To make the poles stand out more, you could try a couple of things:

1. Put a bolder outline around them, so they pop more. It'd be easy to overdo that though...
    2. Add some shadows where the banners fall, just something subtle to give more depth.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast