Thread: Scaling (WIP map)

Question Scaling (WIP map)

So I am currently working on building this region of the world for my D&D group. I just finished the terrain on the map but I now need to go through and write out the history of this world before I can map any civilized areas.

My Map
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.PNG 
Views:	88 
Size:	2.21 MB 
ID:	109212

First though I wanted to know how find the scale of the map. When I started this map. I wanted to make my life easier, so I used one of the world generators to build out the world outline for me so that way I could focus on the area that I wanted to plan out for my players. How should I do the scaling for the map I made? Should I care about the scaling compared to the world map?

World Outline
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5b64d4cba2d399ce.png 
Views:	84 
Size:	2.11 MB 
ID:	109213

Any advice would be amazing, thanks!
    Last edited by jereto101; 08-14-2018 at 10:29 PM.

First of all, your style is great, the faded look of it makes for an old feel.

As far as scale goes, I personally didn't want my world to be super big, for the simple fact of how far my PC's would have to travel from A to B, and the game time it would soak up as a result. I set mine at about 80 miles/inch, which works well to give the idea that travel is certainly time consuming, but not so much so, that it becomes a burden to progress, and a thorn in the side of my players any time they leave town.

But every DM/GM is different, so ultimately my advice to you is: Strive for a modicum of realism, but don't dive too deep into the minutia.

Guild Expert Facebook Connected XCali's Avatar

Good start with the coastlines looking so nice and random.

It almost looks like a continent map for scale. Good luck going forward

(As I am quite a fan of Table Top RPGs, from afar that is -I have yet to have a privilege to play a game- I have a map I was inspired to create while listening to Critical Role, its not from that world, but I wanted to create it none the less. It is free for use with friends. Nessa'Mor )
    Last edited by XCali; 08-12-2018 at 12:05 PM.

~ Maps-DriveThruRPG ~Free Maps and Assets ~Current Project~

My web novels
    Instagram handle: instagram.com/omrihope
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ~The heavens declare the glory of God;
    the skies proclaim the work of His hands.
    Day after day they pour forth speech;
    night after night they reveal knowledge.
    ~ Psalm 19

Quote Originally Posted by XCali View Post
    As I am quite a fan of Table Top RPGs, from afar that is -I have yet to have a privilege to play a game
    I was introduced to DnD right as 3e was bombing and WotC was revising into what would be known as 3.5e, I was 13. My first game was when I was 26, don't fret, haha.

Thanks for the advice! Im working on the world history right now, so I should be able to finish the civilized areas on the map. As another question, I have always had problems with roadways, how do you guys make them distinct from rivers and such?

Im still feel relatively new to dnd when compared to a lot of the other people in the community. I started with pathfinder about a year before 5e was released. I was introduced by a friend when I was 13ish, and have been playing with that group for the past 4-5 years.