Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Thumbnail gallery for Cartographers Choice

Question Thumbnail gallery for Cartographers Choice

@Robbie and/or @RedRobes...
    I was wondering why we don't have a thumbnail gallery of the Cartographers Choice awards.
    It seems like an obvious choice for that. Is it a problem to do one?
    I think it would be great to have.

Probably a good idea, a few times I went to peruse the CG maps and it's not easy. Usually I just end up looking at your amalgamation collection poster and then search them out one by one for bigger ones.

Administrator Facebook Connected Robbie's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I thought we had one, actually... It's not hard to do. I'll take a look.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
    All Hail FlappyMap! Long Live MapFeed!

Robbie Powell - Site Admin

Excellent
    We need to be able to see all that glorious mappage as one scrolling wall of awesome. :p

Blog Entries

I think we can set one up so long as its all contained on a forum board. I *think* (because its certainly been a while...) that the script takes in the forum board number and will extract all of the thumbs for that boards threads as the first image posted. We can also set the date to a specific year if required too which we use for the annual mappies.

Edit: Yeah so I put one in and have battled with the PHP but dang I cannot see why its stopping at Devins Mad Monk thumb. The code looks like it ought to go through them all and if you ask the forum for all the threads it goes right back to 2006 but they wont show. Theres nothing in the PHP to say only get me threads up to X. SQL is not my forte, maybe RobA can do his magic on it. If anyone else has any better idea why its the case then do let me know.

Edit2: I got it now. The entries before that date have the image embedded in as a URL link to the map. Those more recent have it as an attachment. It needs to be an attachment before the thumbnailer will pick it up. We need to have access to the attachment dimensions to scale it for display and the URL links wont have that info without the PHP crawling the link to it and getting it - which I can tell you I am not capable of writing in PHP ! So the link as it stands is about the best I can give you.

Link to thumbs is above the cartographers choice forum - or for the lazy... https://www.cartographersguild.com/c...ice_thumbs.php
    Last edited by Redrobes; 08-14-2018 at 06:39 PM.

You ROCK Redrobes!!!!

**does the happy tail-chase dance and drops a special chew toy for the man with the plan**
    GW

One's worth is not measured by stature, alone. By heart and honor is One's true value weighed.

Current Non-challenge WIP : Beyond Sosnasib
    Current Lite Challenge WIP : None
    Current Main Challenge WIP : None
    Completed Maps : Various Challenges

Nice work Redrobes. Hopefully someone will figure out why it stops, or if it can be paginated.

@redrobes Can we edit the posts to change the image to an attachment? I just clicked randomly on one of the older threads (that doesn't show in the thumbnails) and it certainly looks like I could remove the existing image and then 'attach' the original (full size) map.

There aren't a huge number of maps, and I wouldn't mind working through them over the next couple of weeks. I guess the image would show automatically in the thumbnails if it were an attachment?

EDIT: OK, I'm answering my own questions. I tried it with our very first CC Award and it works. It now shows in the gallery.

I think it's just a matter of going through the old threads, deleting the existing image and re-uploading the full size map as a new attachment. I'll work through them over the next week or two when I have time.
    Last edited by ChickPea; 08-15-2018 at 07:25 PM.
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Blog Entries

@Greason - I wish all my clients were that happy with my coding !!!
    Thanks Falconius.
    ChickPea: Yes I believe that the script runs on the current active forum database and pulls up all of the current threads and performs the calculation of page layout at the time of the request in a similar manner to if someone adds a new challenge entry with new WIP tag then it ought to become a new thumbnail for the next person to request the thumbnails page. If you want to edit the older threads then by all means have a go. Try one and check if it works. If you want to edit the post for Devins mad monk one too as its showing the wrong image that would also be great. I guess in that instance you can change the current attachment to a URL of the image its pointing to and it will fix that one. It may fix itself if the proper image was an attachment. I dont know if it will pick the first attachment or the second. The proper Mad Monk map was pretty cool if I recall.

Edit: Ahh I see that its already been changed - or maybe its being changed as I check whether its being changed.... I am confused now

Edit2: I see ChickPeas Edit. Were on Ninja Edits now !!
    Last edited by Redrobes; 08-15-2018 at 07:52 PM.

There's some weirdness with the thumbnails....!

I've been going into a few threads, clicking on the image to open it in a new tab, saving that image, then uploading it again as an attachment to the original post and deleting the original pic. I've done half a dozen or so now, and they're all showing fine, except for this thread...

https://www.cartographersguild.com/s...=4052#post4052

The greyscale pic showing is the correct image, and it appears in the gallery, however if you go into the thumbnails gallery now and scroll down near the bottom, there are about 20ish dungeon maps on parchment added. If you click on them, they all link to the thread above, though they do not appear in the thread anywhere. I don't know where they've come from. They just appeared after I updated the attachment. If you go into the original WIP thread (link is in the first comment of Robbie's award post) it looks like some images are missing, or perhaps removed by the OP. Not sure if these could be our phantom parchment dungeon maps?

Not sure if it's relevant but I think this user changed their user name. The text in the original image says the map maker is 'Artimidor' but when you go to the original thread for the map (linked in the first comment) the user name is 'Artimidor Federkiel'. Might be coincidence, but thought I'd mention it anyway.

Not sure how to proceed here or how to get rid of all those maps that don't belong there, apart from removing the attachment from the original post (at least, I'm assuming that'll get rid of them). I won't touch anything else for now.
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast