Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910111213 LastLast

Thread: The City of Melekhir

I am leaning towards CC3+ limit. CC3+ is a 32bit program so it has an upper memory limit of under 4 gig.
    Last edited by Texas Jake; 10-14-2018 at 06:39 AM.

Yeah, my impression from things I read here is that the program is seriously outdated in terms of utilization of modern hardware. Mouse was using an old laptop with 2gb memory and upgraded to 4 and she was able to handle rather large maps, all be it with big waits (measured in minutes) when performing operations.

Quote Originally Posted by Texas Jake View Post
    I am leaning towards CC3+ limit. CC3+ is a 32bit program so it has an upper memory limit of under 4 gig.
    The "other" Cartographic Program, Campaign Cartographer, is in testing of Version 9, which is 64-Bit code. It is the only important cartographic program of which I'm aware that's in 64-Bit development. See:

http://www.nbos.com. The information is in the forum option.

ProFantasy http://www.profantasy.com has said it is looking at a 64-bit version sometime in the future, but it's not in development at this time.
    Mark Oliva
    The Vintyri (TM) Project

Mark,

How does Fractal Mapper compare with CC3+? I looked at their site and the map examples don't look as nice as those done with CC3 in my opinion. I know you can use CC symbol sets with FM, how much does this close the gap?

Mark,

How does Fractal Mapper compare with CC3+? I looked at their site and the map examples don't look as nice as those done with CC3 in my opinion. I know you can use CC symbol sets with FM, how much does this close the gap?
    I have CC3+, FM8, Dundjinni and MapForge, but I find it difficult to compare them. They simply all are quite different programs.

If you look at the Jörðgarð maps that I post from our group every week, you'll get an idea what kind of raster maps FM8 can produce. I mention that, because the information on the NBOS website stills focuses on old FM7 style maps with ancient vector symbols that don't meet today's mapping standards.

One can use the CC3+ symbols with FM8, but we don't do that. We also seldom use he raster symbols that are delivered with FM8. For our purposes, we find that the Dundjinni Archives, CSUAC, Bogies Mapping Objects and Vintyri Cartographic Collection symbols are of better graphical quality than those from CC3+ or FM8. (these collections also are available for CC3+.) However, that's subjective opinion rather than a fact of any kind.

If you think you want to consider Fractal Mapper, I would suggest looking more at FM9, when it's released, rather than spending a lot of time with FM8. From the test versions, we know that FM9 will be available in a 64-bit version, which lets you use your full computer resources. CC3+, Dundjinni and MapForge all have the disadvantage of being 32-bit versions, which is becoming ever more an obsolete technology. My main computer has 32 GB memory, and all of the main programs I use with it except FM8 (also 32-bit) are 64-bit applications. I look forward to having a cartographic that lets me use my memory too. CC3+ and MapForge have no 64-bit plans on the near horizon. Dundjinni is a dead program.

FM9 also will offer a lot of new abilities that aren't in FM8, and NBOS has said that it will be delivered with an entirely new library of mapping symbols.

We've had Campaign Cartographer since the original DOS version. Today, we use CC3+ only to make NPC portraits with Character Artist 3. We make no maps with CC3+. We switched to FM8 when CC3 (without the +) arrived for several reasons:

1) FM8 is very fast. CC3+ is very slow.

2) FM8 is clean; it doesn't crash. CC3+ crashes quite happily and often. See the CC3+ forum if you doubt me.

3) First and foremost, FM8 native format maps are portable. The cartographer can embed symbols and fills in FM8 maps. The native FCW maps produced by CC3+ are portable only if the recipient has all of the symbol and fill sets installed in exactly the same location in his or her computer as on the original cartographer's computer. However, for most users, this isn't an important issue. Our products all are released on an open source basis, and our users can download the maps in our products in the original FMP format of FM8 and customize the maps for their campaigns. For all intents and purposes, that doesn't work in CC3+, because CC3+ is unable to embed objects.
    Mark Oliva
    The Vintyri (TM) Project

Thanks for the information, Mark. I was already in the wait for FM9 mode. If I make a switch, it will be for a 64 bit program. There are many things I like about CC3+ and I have become comfortable with its interface (which I know many people have problems warming up to) but I am pushing it to its limits and I have discovered many of its shortcomings. It do like using a mapping program for speed since I have a great many maps to produce.

There are many things I like about CC3+ and I have become comfortable with its interface (which I know many people have problems warming up to) but I am pushing it to its limits and I have discovered many of its shortcomings.
    I have to agree with you on all points. CC3+ is an excellent program, but in all the years that I've used Campaign Cartographer starting with the DOS days, I have yet to find a version that's cleanly programmed. There always have been too many things that causes crashes and - if one doesn't do multiple version backups - lead to hours of lost work.

It do like using a mapping program for speed since I have a great many maps to produce.
    The same is true for us. Sometimes I need to do four or five maps in a single day. That works with FM8. Producing identical maps with CC3+ would take a few days.
    Mark Oliva
    The Vintyri (TM) Project

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	The City of Melekhir 9.1.PNG 
Views:	23 
Size:	7.71 MB 
ID:	110822

Did some more mapping in the area where I am using Utrecht as a source of inspiration.

Name:	City View 2.PNG 
Views:	17 
Size:	1.98 MB 
ID:	110824

This is the area of Utrecht I am using as my source of inspiration.

Name:	The City of Melekhir 9.2 (Central City).PNG 
Views:	35 
Size:	8.17 MB 
ID:	110835

Added a little more to the area. I have decided to work on different areas of the map in different version, then combine them. I have deleted most of what is outside the central part of the city (it is preserved in another saved version and has not been discarded) and hopefully that will give me enough headroom to finish the central part of the city in one map version ( I am not overly hopeful, though). The little details like trees and roof gables add a lot of overhead, but I don't want to cut back on the little details.

Edit: checked the map and it has 234,856 entities and that's after I removed the ones outside the central city.
    Last edited by Texas Jake; 10-16-2018 at 08:33 PM.

You're making a lot of progress every time I check in! And I'm happy Utrecht inspires you

checked the map and it has 234,856 entities and that's after I removed the ones outside the central city.
    I have a deviantART and an Instagram! Shiny

Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910111213 LastLast