Thread: Feedback on my (first) urban map

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Guild Novice

Wip Feedback on my (first) urban map

Hey guys, so I've always been keen to create maps for the stories I write, but every time I attempt something I always get disheartened by how messy and unprofessional they look, so I'm really just hoping for some advice on how to improve my map. The style I've made this in, sadly, in no way reflects the *ideal* style I'd like to go for. Because of my exceptionally limited skillset, I've been gradually improving my ability with a painted style, but I would prefer to develop a style that utilises textures more effectively. I'm struggling to find the words to describe the style I like, but the best example, really, is Maxime Plasse. Before you say anything, I know he's a seasoned veteran I aspire to emulate his standards and find a style something like his map of Yphorion. I love his understated use of colour and application of texture (I'm assuming some of you are familiar with his work). They are just the best example of the kind of map that I like.

Anyway, this is my map...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	The King's City of Ancient Laven.jpg 
Views:	235 
Size:	6.21 MB 
ID:	114695

I'm happy with some aspects, but by and large this is very incomplete. I've taken to calling it 'stage 2'. The labels are all temporary, for reference. I'm not that fond of the colour and the linework is pretty untidy in places (though my other half assures me most people won't zoom in far enough for the unkempt lines to matter).

Really, my biggest concern is with the roads. The King's City of Ancient Laven is modelled on London, though it's a little further inland. It is, all the same, the kingdom of Alamand's central hub/capital/major port. Around 150 years ago, at the height of its power, Alamand's population exploded and so did that of Ancient Laven. I've taken this as the reason for the largely haphazard network of roads, streets and back alleys, but I worry that they are arranged too chaotically. Also, I'm concerned that I've overestimated the amount of farms/fields in the surrounding area, so I'd like some feedback on this side of things.

Now, if we're talking 'dream map', I may have to resign myself to one day commissioning something from someone, because I don't know where to start changing or developing my style, but in terms of this basic painted style, is there anything that stands out as something I can improve or work on?

Many thanks.

EDIT: I just noticed a typo as well. 'Udiciary' should be 'Judiciary' . For some reason somewhere in the process my shading went to hell. There are hard lines all over the place that weren't there when I was painting them in, but I think it *could* function as part of the 'style'. It's plainly obvious though that some of my lines and shading are untidy, since the file is a large one.
    Last edited by MapHatter; 04-06-2019 at 07:40 PM.