Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: The City of Melekhir

Falconius,

The building that are cramped are in the market district which is at the center of the original areas of the city and prime real estate. This is where the people come to the market place and shop. Anyone selling goods wants to be close to where the action is. In the dock area, the houses aren't butted up against each other, but there is very little land per house. The area between the docks and market district is an area where the occupants are a little more affluent (say lower middle class for a better term) and have larger houses and a little more land area where they could have small herb and vegetable gardens. That was my thought process behind the way things were laid out.

The dock area is about to get transformed. Still considering what I will did with the area between market district and docks.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	The City of Melekhir 6.5ar.png 
Views:	42 
Size:	996.0 KB 
ID:	110288

After several frustrating and aborted attempts to start remodeling the dock area that I did not like, I decided to duplicate on some interesting structures I located in Rothenburg with Google Earth. Both are adjacent to St, Jakobskirche if you want to compare the actual structures to what I modeled. I am interested in hearing what you think. Planning to duplicate some actual structures from different places as I fill this area.

I have been doing some more viewing cities in Google Earth and looking at old maps. It helps to take second (third, fourth, fifth, sixth, etc, etc) look at these things to clarify your vision. Lots of details, little (but important) details, can be missed or glanced over the first time (or several times) you view things. And, as Wingshaw touched on up thread, it is easy to make what you see fit into your preconceived perspectives. I have noticed it is hard not to let my 20th/21st century, American concept of urban design sneak into what I am mapping, or in subtle reinterpretations of what I have learned from my research.

Quote Originally Posted by Texas Jake View Post
    I have been doing some more viewing cities in Google Earth and looking at old maps. It helps to take second (third, fourth, fifth, sixth, etc, etc) look at these things to clarify your vision.
    I also get a lot of inspiration by looking at the maps of my fellow cartographers here on CG: J.Edward's city maps always inspire me by their very naturalistic appearance and rooftops

Wingshaw

Formerly TheHoarseWhisperer

Name:	The City of Melekhir 6.6.PNG 
Views:	41 
Size:	8.12 MB 
ID:	110315

Latest shot of the area formerly known as the dock slums. The city is in the process of demolishing the sub-standard shacks and building more appropriate housing for the laborers in this district. City leaders are pleased with the progress. Tenants of the district are undecided if this is true progress. Many of them have organized protests which have been promptly dispersed by members of the town watch. Leaders of these protest have been provided with new accommodations in an indoor gated community (the kind that is dark, damp, generally unpleasurable, and with strictly controlled access).

Name:	The City of Melekhir 6.6arf.png 
Views:	36 
Size:	3.78 MB 
ID:	110330

Added a couple more buildings and a statue of the Great Warrior-King Norlandir, although the memory of who the statue is of has long been lost. The statue has stood watch over the city since the reign of King Eldrid who founded the city in the years that followed the death of his father (Norlandir) in the Great Rebellion.

The renewal effort in the slums causing civic unrest in the Old Docks District.

Name:	The City of Melekhir 6.7.PNG 
Views:	33 
Size:	3.69 MB 
ID:	110339

Name:	The City of Melekhir 6.8.PNG 
Views:	31 
Size:	6.53 MB 
ID:	110341

The urban renewal project in the Old Docks District making good progress. Construction ceases temporarily while citizens watch the Mighty Texans face the Invading Giants in the arena.

Name:	The City of Melekhir 6.9.PNG 
Views:	32 
Size:	7.08 MB 
ID:	110364

Added more buildings to the Old Port District housing and totally renovated the Old Port facility.

Massive improvement!!!

Wingshaw

Formerly TheHoarseWhisperer

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast