Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Aug/Sept '18 Lite Challenge: Impact Island

Wip Aug/Sept '18 Lite Challenge: Impact Island

After missing last month's lite challenge, I didn't want to miss this one too, especially with such an interesting theme.

### Latest WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Aug_Sept Lite Challenge_WIP1.png 
Views:	63 
Size:	794.7 KB 
ID:	109790

I don't really have any kind of premise for this map, but I liked the idea of an impact crater on a tropical island, so that's what I went with. It also gave me a good excuse to try out Photoshop on my Surface Pro with a Surface Pen.
    Last edited by AlfansosRevenge; 08-29-2018 at 01:13 PM.

Great start on this. I like the look of the crater.
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Looks like a terrific start!

If you want to pump up the realism, impact craters start off truly bowl-shaped (maybe with a central peak if they're big enough), but on a world with erosion they will slowly lose relief and fill in. On the outside, they throw material up and out. There are some asymmetries that you don't quite show yet, mostly the crater walls should be steeper on the inside and shallower on the outside. You've got a great style here for showing those features.

I like how you have started your crater. Welcome to the Challenge AlfansosRevenge!

It's a great start, Alfanso, and I'm interested to see you're trying new technics
    Look forward to see the next steps !

Quote Originally Posted by jshoer View Post
    Looks like a terrific start!

If you want to pump up the realism, impact craters start off truly bowl-shaped (maybe with a central peak if they're big enough), but on a world with erosion they will slowly lose relief and fill in. On the outside, they throw material up and out. There are some asymmetries that you don't quite show yet, mostly the crater walls should be steeper on the inside and shallower on the outside. You've got a great style here for showing those features.
    That's really helpful advice. Would you happen to have some reference material that I could look at that shows what you're describing?

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	Aug_Sept Lite Challenge_ WIP2.png 
Views:	49 
Size:	5.24 MB 
ID:	109832

I redrew the crater to have steeper interior walls and less steep exterior walls. I added a second, smaller crater. Both craters have lakes in them. I have no idea if lakes in craters is realistic, but it was an aesthetic desire of mine. In addition to the changes to the crater(s), I added in some jungles, an area of elevated terrain, and some islands. Also a background paper texture.

Quote Originally Posted by AlfansosRevenge View Post
    Both craters have lakes in them. I have no idea if lakes in craters is realistic, but it was an aesthetic desire of mine.
    Oh, crater lakes are definitely realistic.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crater_lake

That looks fantastic. I really like your forests, too.
    Quote Originally Posted by AlfansosRevenge View Post
    That's really helpful advice. Would you happen to have some reference material that I could look at that shows what you're describing?
    I highly recommend looking up images of Meteor Crater on Earth, as well as scrolling around NASA imagery of Moon and Mars (where the absence of erosion really lets the crater geometries shine all on their own). If you really want to get geological, do some literature searches of the phrase "impact crater morphology."

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	Aug_Sept Lite Challenge_WIP3.png 
Views:	42 
Size:	5.69 MB 
ID:	109843

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast