Thread: StellaVerum - Commission

Map StellaVerum - Commission

Woo, this one has kept me busy for the past month! It’s the most colorful and unique map I’ve done in a while. The client wished to have lots of her world’s fauna incorporated, so I learned how to draw pigs and swans and even silkworm strands. Each of the five seas is a different color in the story, so that’s why they’re subtly shaded in different hues here. It was a lot of fun!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BB5778AA-A216-4CEA-B99B-A5E0424E6696.jpeg 
Views:	341 
Size:	9.36 MB 
ID:	109738

Pretty nice map Jessica ! The illustrations and your use of colors are the main assets of this one. If I may, the linewidth are very different between the map itself and its embellishments. Is there a purpose behind this difference ?

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasR View Post
    Pretty nice map Jessica ! The illustrations and your use of colors are the main assets of this one. If I may, the linewidth are very different between the map itself and its embellishments. Is there a purpose behind this difference ?
    Thank you And yes! The lines were much more pronounced on the map at first, but I decided to lower the opacity of them a bit and shrink them because they were TOO large on the map, and because the embellishments are such a different scale than the continent. It seemed strange to have the mountain ranges, for example, had the same line width as the up-close trees (if that makes sense?) After tweaking the lines a bit, I found I like the slight depth-of-field look it created when the map lines were shrunk, so it was like looking out through these trees at a new world.

Interesting and good looking map . The frame is great for conveying a particular mood.

Quote Originally Posted by Ilanthar View Post
    Interesting and good looking map . The frame is great for conveying a particular mood.
    Thanks!

Very nice map, and gorgeous border! The island shape reminds me very much of Numenor.
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Quote Originally Posted by ChickPea View Post
    Very nice map, and gorgeous border! The island shape reminds me very much of Numenor.
    Thank you!! And you're right! It does look like Numenor. I hadn't realized that at all while drawing it. Now I'm wondering if the client intended it like that (they have one land feature named Tolkien's Ring, so maybe!)

Good job, Lizard ! I especially love your mountains here : perfect color and contrast for my taste ^^

Praise

. I think it's beautiful! All of the map makers on this site are soooo skilled.

This is lovingly detailed. Wonderful work!

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh