Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: In which I attempt to finish some of my unfinished maps...

Map In which I attempt to finish some of my unfinished maps...

I have SOOO many half-done maps (though I doubt I'm alone in that!) and I'm determined to get at least a few of them done. I thought I'd start an ongoing thread to work on them. It might shame me into finally finishing.

I've been working on one - Aurelia Isle - this weekend. I was cramming a bit to try and finish today, and it's mostly done, but I don't want to post in Finished Maps just yet, as I think there are a few things I might want to re-work. I started this map about 9 months ago, and I had saved a rough plan. My image had a big box at the top right for... something... I don't remember what now. I decided instead just to make a big ole compass to fill the space, as I have no clue what it was supposed to be, and if I wait for inspiration to strike, it'll probably be another 9 months before I finish...

The other one is a village map that I take out periodically, work on a few things, then put it away again. It's been on the go for several months too. I quite like what I have so far, and I really want to finish this one too. I don't know if the name is final. It's just something I made up and liked the sound of, but it may change.

I have another regional map that's in a fairly advanced state too, but I'll post that one later.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Aurelia.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	9.10 MB 
ID:	109890

Name:	aegel.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	2.31 MB 
ID:	109891
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

I'm with ya on unfinished maps.
    I have loads. I was trying to get some done too.

I like the color scheme for Aurelia.
    The town is very soft.

As someone with a serious "unfinished" problem I wish you the best in finishing some of your projects

Both of these maps look like they will be pretty engaging when complete.

I like the town map, I don't think there can ever be enough small town maps. It does niggle me that the A doesn't look capitalized though.

I'm right in there with you...in fact I have some finished maps I haven't even uploaded because for me it takes time to figure out how to present them. One of these days soon I'll try. I moved to where I'm supposed to have more time for art but I'm currently in the midst of building a house to live in. :/

And I agree with the point about never being enough town maps. I keep shying away from them myself.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected Eri's Avatar

I think I have a few dozen battle maps now that will probably never get coloured haha. Linework complete but taking the time on them seems impossible.

In the plus side it's all practice, finished or not, so it's all good

Don't get me started on unfinished projects! Maps, stories, dental work, laundry.... Wait, was that too much information?

Seriously though, I wouldn't be surprised to hear that nearly all of us have an unfinished project or two (a few dozen for me). I am just now getting back to work on one of my previous challenge maps that I wanted to expand on, so hopefully an update on that in a day or two or three.
    GW

One's worth is not measured by stature, alone. By heart and honor is One's true value weighed.

Current Non-challenge WIP : Beyond Sosnasib
    Current Lite Challenge WIP : None
    Current Main Challenge WIP : None
    Completed Maps : Various Challenges

Map

Thanks for the comments, everyone! It's sorta reassuring to know that I'm not the only one with a gazillion unfinished maps! We should have a 'house-keeping' month where your task is to finish at least one of them!

I've got an update on the Aurelia map. I completely redid the trees, as I wasn't quite happy with them. I've also tweaked the main title and the compass, and moved things around a little. I also worked in some standing stones, 1) because I love 'em, and 2) because it saved me about another 500 trees!!

I think this is getting very close to finished now. I might try a little bit more shading on the ground, but I think, apart from that, it's about done, unless anyone has any suggestions, or spots any mistakes!

Name:	8.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	2.88 MB 
ID:	110048
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Oh yeah !!
    I love the village already . And the gold and blue is a very "royal" combination .

It's good to see a map by you, ChickPea !
    It's probably a choice you made, but in case you just forgot there are 2,5 (^^) rivers unnamed : South of Dunhithe and by Scarshoals. And maybe you forgot to place the label for "Dun Water".
    And now I'll stop to be a pain and will just enjoy the map : I love the global balance of this one, for composition and colors
    Oh, and I can't stop lurking at the stone circle in the Norten Forest. I'm sure there is a special story there ! ^^

I knew I forgot this one (and I'm unforgiveable for that). I'm so glad to see new maps by you, Ruby ! And I love this one with its strong color theme ! The border works really well and I also like the perspective labels a lot. Go CP !

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast