Thread: Skybound Island POC

Default Skybound Island POC

Working on a new map for my Skybound Islands - a long chain of floating islands. This is really just some testing - a proof of concept. I was thinking about the brown background at first. Whipped up a quick cloud background, too, and I'm not sure which I like better. If I go with the clouds, I'd remove the dark outline around the islands. I could do a mix - have a cloud background for the islands that fades to make it look like it's painted with them, and then have the text on plain parchment below...

And the islands need work - the angles/shadows/etc. aren't consistent, for example. They're all going to get redone.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	skybound poc.png 
Views:	101 
Size:	4.52 MB 
ID:	109893

Name:	skybound poc clouds.png 
Views:	62 
Size:	4.58 MB 
ID:	109894

Nice! I like the painterly style you got here.

Quote Originally Posted by Ilanthar View Post
    Nice! I like the painterly style you got here.
    Thanks! The setting is whimsical high-fantasy, so I'm trying to give that feeling.

I tried my third idea, and I do think I like this the best. It seems more balanced to me, and the text will be more legible.

Name:	skybound poc3.png 
Views:	50 
Size:	4.48 MB 
ID:	109909

I've been making progress on the actual islands, but the only thing I have to show now is tinkering with the labels. I like the banner, and I think I like the descriptor inside it (on the right) instead of below it (on the left). Man the path/text tool is finicky, thought. I'm going to need to work on it quite a bit. CC greatly appreciated!

Name:	skybound poc3.png 
Views:	72 
Size:	4.52 MB 
ID:	110248

I'm loving the style of this. It's looking great.
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

This is quite nice... a long time ago I did a top-down map of a floating fortress
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Thanks, guys!

Quote Originally Posted by Steel General View Post
    a long time ago I did a top-down map of a floating fortress
    That's a really cool map and effect. Thanks for sharing - I'm obviously taken with the floating island concept

It's been a slow week for progress on this with a couple of other projects taking my attention through the next few weeks. But I'll be back to it soon!