Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lift building for The Village of Kopfarr

Quote Originally Posted by bkh1914 View Post
    Overshoot gives more power for a given amount of water because gravity is doing most of the work instead of the current flow. And you have plenty of drop for overshoot wheels.
    And I've been wondering why you have two wheels, one for each side of the cage. This creates problems from an engineering point of view. The water wheels won't be turning at exactly the same rate, which will cause the cage to become canted in its tracks. And possibly get stuck. And then something will break. A primitive technology solution is to tie the shafts of the two wheels together. Or better yet, have only one larger wheel. And a single large chain will avoid issues with the chains winding unevenly on the drums. Then split the chain into four parts to lift the corners of the cage. Or if the cage has wheels to keep it aligned in the shaft you can lift the cage from a central point in the cage's top frame (like modern elevators).
    Thanks bkh1914, many excellent points. I'm already in the process of dropping the wheels down for the over shoot, you guys have convinced me it's the way to go. I have been trying to work out some of your other points and your suggestion of one larger wheel is such an obviously good idea and solution. I think sometimes it's easy to get stuck in a initial idea of how its going to look and never bother to change that first image in your head. Certainly going to make those changes. It's also going to open up more space on the ground floor, which is something I've been trying to get more of. Wheels on the lift cage should also help with windy conditions, snow and other forms of bad weather. many thanks.

Ok, sunk the wheel and made it larger and covered it with wooden grating. Only the minimalist of safety needed Added some walkways on the Second floor for maintenance of the chains and added a basement for maintenance of the waterwheel and water shoot. So now the mechanism works simply as the chain on the water wheel rod rotates it rotates the rod on the second level which 2 chains on spools that pass over wheels directly over the lift cage. These 2 chains attach to the middle of the cage on right and left side. There is still a manual wheel crank that can be used in emergencies. In the lift cage I added wheels, they are a bit hard to see and I'm also planned on making a break for emergencies that would allow for someone to pull inside the cage to stop it.

All to do now is finish the roof level, add some reinforcements to the wheel rod in the basement and breaks on the cage and a few other bits here and there. Also need to redo the cliff face.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2018-09-27 at 12.59.35 PM.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	2.16 MB 
ID:	110463
    Last edited by Boslok; 09-27-2018 at 01:37 PM.

That's looking much better now!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12