Thread: Help finding a non-autogenerating map tool that doesn't require you to draw free hand

Help Help finding a non-autogenerating map tool that doesn't require you to draw free hand

I'm wondering if anyone here could help me find a program that would allow me to create passable maps over continents, provinces and cities that I can use in tabletop role-playing games, like D&D.

The thing is I can't draw anything free hand, neither with a pen and paper nor digitally. I just don't have the motor activity skills to draw (and my handwriting is completely illegible too.) Or to put it simply, if I try to draw a circle it will end up with corners.

The only time I've actually managed to create something passable artistic was when at school I got to try a 3D software. (Autodesk Maya to be specific.) Since it didn't require me to draw myself but just me telling the computer what to draw, by designating polygons and vertices I was able to create 3d objects and shapes that I never would have been able to draw with a pen.

Which brings me to my question.

Is there any map making tool that would allow me to "draw" passable 2d maps in the same manner you model 3d objects in a 3d program?

I've been looking around a lot myself and when it comes to map tools for rpgs any I found falls into 3 categories.
    Ones that require you to draw free hand such as PSP, GIMP, Inkscape, Campaign Cartographer, Inkarnate Worlds, etc.
    Ones that Auto-generate maps with little input or control from the user beyond the placement of icons for towns and villages, such as fractal mapper and Worldspinner.
    And finally the ones that only allows you to make floor plans over dungeons and buildings but not world maps.

So I was hoping someone here would know of a tool like the sort I'm looking for.

Currently, I'm just using the shape tools in paint to create basic abstract maps (see example below). But I'd like to be able to make something that actually looked like a map and had some detail and a consistent scale.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dnd 5e kampanj karta.png 
Views:	31 
Size:	8.5 KB 
ID:	109907

I use Campaign Cartographer. I think you may find it meets your needs. No drawing skills really necessary. Much different than creating a map in GIMP, Photoshop, or similar program.

inkarnate doesn't require a lot of drawing skills.

Guild Artisan Guild Supporter Tenia's Avatar

Dungeon Painter Studio may be helpful, mostly based on battleground/building maps but with some regional/world elements, no coordination skills required in my opinion (you just put tiles), there was a free version online that seems to have disappeared, have a look at : https://store.steampowered.com/app/5...ainter_Studio/

Its curious that you put Campaign Cartographer in the same category with PS and GIMP.

I use a range of software, and if there is one of them that doesn't seem to require too much actual drawing, its Campaign Cartographer. Even when you are drawing a polygon its a case of clicking where the nodes go, rather than drawing things. I don't use my tablet with CC3 because its just not that kind of app, but I use it all the time in Krita (like GIMP but better), which is most definitely an app that requires a whole lot of drawing.

With CC3 you 'draw' the polygon by clicking node positions, and the fills, symbols and effects do the rest.

There is a learning curve with CC3, but there's a learning curve with any new-to-you app

Name:  Of Prophets and Kings Beta Map.JPG
Views: 319
Size:  14.7 KB

This is a map I did entirely in Campaign Cartographer 3+ (CC3+) while learning how to use the software.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	The Continent added Valimere 4.JPG 
Views:	64 
Size:	4.53 MB 
ID:	109931

This is another map I did in CC3+ for my personnel reference and did a little experimenting with style changes in some areas. Again, no other software or drawing was used to generate this map.

This gives you an idea of what you can create in CC3+ and it doesn't require any real drawing on your part. The base program is $40 US and is fully capable without any of the add-ons. The style (Mike Schley) used on the first map is included with the basic package. The second map using a style from the 2011 Annual (Jonathan Roberts Overland).

Hey Chryckan,

I don't know if it's kosher to self-promote on a thread like this, but I thought that I'd show you the tool that I've been working on called Wonderdraft. Does this kind of thing satisfy your requirements?

https://streamable.com/24a2e

https://streamable.com/w595a

Cheers

Guild Journeyer

I too use CC3+, and recommend it if it's what you want.

But, if you also want to look at other options, this post is what I refer people to; https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...ftware-summary

I'd also point out that there are several ways to make maps with software such as Gimp or Photoshop that don't necessarily require you to draw per se. There is plenty you can archive with just clicking around with a mouse.

You might also want to check out vector design programs such as Illustrator or the Affinity Designer (which I personally use and love) - that is, as far as I am concerned, about as close to 3D work as you can get. As long you have a handle on Bezier curves, you can create the shapes by adding points and working with the different types of line. I know some people who do incredible illustrations with like this, and they don't draw a single line freehand.
    Homepage | Instagram | Facebook | Artstation
    Just give me liquorice and nobody gets hurt.