Thread: Ancient Cities Maps

Question Ancient Cities Maps

Hello everyone!

I found this website looking for some maps of ancient cities along the Silk Road for a school project, and I was hoping some of you could help me. I've found a couple of the ones I need, like Tehran, but I need help finding the rest. If any of you have maps of Constantinople, Merv, Bukhara, Samarkand, Kashgar, Turfan/Turpan, Hami (aka Komul), Dunhuang, Lanzhou, Beijing, and Chang'an, or know where to find them, that would be a huge help, and I would really appreciate it.

I've already checked http://historic-cities.huji.ac.il/ , but it doesn't have any of the cities I'm looking for.

Thank you so much.

-M

Do you have a specific period in mind? Constantinople is easy to find maps of but it has a long history. A brief search found one of Chang'an (from the Tang dynasty I think but the city mostly conforms to the traditional chinese city layout of a square grid layout and three gates on each side - I wouldn't be surprised if Beijing and Lanzhao looked similar). I found some drawn reconstructions of Merv and Bukhara but they vary a bit.
    My new Deviant-thing. I finally caved.

It's supposed to be from between 900-1100 CE, but just a few years off still works. Yes, that's mostly been the reason I'm having trouble finding the right maps. Most often I find ones from the wrong era or time period. Thank you for the Chang'an map! The Tang Dynasty should work, since it ended in 907, within the time period. Thank you so much! Would you mind sending the Merv and Bukhara ones you found? It's alright if they vary, since I'll try choose the one that best fits the project guidelines.

Thank you so much for your help Larb.

Hi MidnightWhisper, firstly, welcome to the guild. Just FYI, your first five comments have to be manually approved by a community leader to prevent spam. I removed your duplicate comments and left the one above. You have one more comment that requires manual approval, then your posts will go through immediately. Sorry for the delay, but we're in different timezones etc and there isn't always a CL on at all times.
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Ah, I'm so sorry for that then! Thank you for letting me know!

No problem. You're at five now, so you should have full membership privileges. There may be a small delay of up to an hour before the server updates, but after that your comments will go through immediately.
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"