Thread: La région de Ulkhar et Tegath

Guild Master Facebook Connected - JO -'s Avatar

Default La région de Ulkhar et Tegath

Hello !

Here's a little map in B&W I made for a story my wife is writing. Her request was to draw a map for a voyage from a small village to a distant castle, with a direct road, but also with a longer and more difficult path.

It's a funny story about a elderly woman who hire a magician dwarf (outacst), a elf warrior and a ranger woman. The old woman is cheap and don't want to spend more coins for her "quest"

The world is a bit odd, because the magnetic pole tilted after a huge battle, some years ago, in which very powerful mages releashed all their power and caused several cataclysm. It's very confusing for adventurers, because maps and instructions often forgot to mention if the direction is given in ancient or new cardinal points (and that's all I'm supposed to know by now...)

I draw main of the map on the Ipad, and draw shadows and labels on PS.

Critics and comments welcome !

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ulkhar et Tegath.jpg 
Views:	176 
Size:	5.70 MB 
ID:	110226

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Arimel's Avatar

Really cool as normal! The city/village icons are really cool and the shading on the mountains really fits to me.
    Only two things I found slightly confusing. One is that I could not see which town/village had a path leading to the castle. There were so many little paths that I could not see a direct route. Secondly, I sometimes confused the sea and plains since they have the same textures.

Besides these though I think that this map looks amazing! I love this style!

As usual, I like your cities a lot .
    And that seal is a good idea, it would look even better with some more light imho.

Quote Originally Posted by Arimel View Post
    Really cool as normal! The city/village icons are really cool and the shading on the mountains really fits to me.
    Only two things I found slightly confusing. One is that I could not see which town/village had a path leading to the castle. There were so many little paths that I could not see a direct route. Secondly, I sometimes confused the sea and plains since they have the same textures.

Besides these though I think that this map looks amazing! I love this style!
    Thanks a lot Arimel. I see what you mean by confusing land and sea... I'm not sure I'll add symbols for grass though... I didn't want to over load the map. It's probably there that I see I'm not very used to B&W maps : with colors, the distinction would have been easy...

Quote Originally Posted by Ilanthar View Post
    As usual, I like your cities a lot .
    And that seal is a good idea, it would look even better with some more light imho.
    Thanks... The seal is usually in red. I just put it in grey, but I'll try it with more light (you mean for contrast, right ?)

At last, you venture into the realm of Black and white maps ! And you do it well The map is legible, clear and, something I had no doubt about, the city icons are gorgeous. Superbe boulot Joël

By - Jo -
    Thanks... The seal is usually in red. I just put it in grey, but I'll try it with more light (you mean for contrast, right ?)
    Exactement !

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Arimel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by - JO - View Post
    ... It's probably there that I see I'm not very used to B&W maps : with colors, the distinction would have been easy...

For not being used to black and white maps you do a really nice job with them! I really was inspired by this map!

This is very attractive. It's full of little details, yet still very clear and legible. Great work!
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Your towns are really a pleasure to see, Jo, and I love the general feeling of the map

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasR View Post
    At last, you venture into the realm of Black and white maps ! And you do it well The map is legible, clear and, something I had no doubt about, the city icons are gorgeous. Superbe boulot Joël
    Thanks a lot Thomas ! I'm not sure I'll keep on with B&W... I admit I was frustrated by the whole process... I still think that colored maps are more "popping", more "alive"...

Quote Originally Posted by ChickPea View Post
    This is very attractive. It's full of little details, yet still very clear and legible. Great work!
    Thanks ChickPea ! It was my concern : without colors, some information are not immediately understandable... I'm glad this map was readable

Quote Originally Posted by MistyBeee View Post
    Your towns are really a pleasure to see, Jo, and I love the general feeling of the map
    Thanks Misty ! No matter how large I start a map with its resolution, I always find myself with 1 pixel brushes, drawing details... It's like a sickness, I can't prevent myself...