Thread: Manzil, a desert town

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

This is a nice start, Rhino, and I'm looking forward to seeing how you finish it. I'd say your drawing skills look just fine, to me.

The main critique I would have is simply that there is nothing about the map right now that looks like a desert: the buildings look very northern European, the large river. Maybe colour will change that, but I'd have perhaps gone with a different architectural style to convey the desert location (eg. Archensheen by J.Edward)

Hope that is helpful and keep up the fine map-making

Wingshaw

Formerly TheHoarseWhisperer

Guild Apprentice ARockabillyRhino's Avatar

Thanks Wingshaw!

I appreciate your taking the time to comment, and for the crit. It's really helpful as I wade through this mad process.
    Unfortunately, I spent all night drawing even more houses that look a little out of character for the environment. Due to time constraints, I'm going to keep them for now, and see if I can make it all work with the color scheme I paint with.

I'm not sure how these WIP posts normally work, so I'm just going to post my status each time I spend a few hours and make good progress.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hu-Tin_City_01@1x.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	634.3 KB 
ID:	110267

So here is most of the village houses done. I hope it doesn't look too cut and paste, I drew about 18 buildings and used those until there were about 40. The church to the West took me a while and I am quite proud of it. The last piece I need to do is the bazaar in the South West corner (you can see I accidentally left the road sketch for the bazaar where it will be).

Lore wise for the city, the buildings do look pretty European (I partly blame my drawing skills, I surprised myself by going beyond squares with triangles on top). I'm thinking this place, since it is outside of the major desert cities, and located on the lush river banks, may have been a gathering spot for north Europe style expats. They brought their architecture and a bit of culture, but used sand stone and reeds to build the houses. I already had a Swedish themed citizen in mind as the blacksmith, maybe I could just expand that.

Aaaaanyways, keep the comments, critiques coming!