Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NW Kaharis "The Scorched Coast"

Default NW Kaharis "The Scorched Coast"

Hello everyone,

This is my first map I have created. I began the down rabbits hole of worldbuilding for my upcoming game of DnD and I. AM. HOOKED. on making maps.

I consider this one finished but I learned a few things I would do differently in the future.

Linework completed by hand and scanned into photoshop for the rest.

Please please please critique away. I hunger for your tips and pointers!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kaharis BW.jpg 
Views:	218 
Size:	7.39 MB 
ID:	110250

I love the wind rose ^^, beautifull map

Greetings to a fellow roleplayer, well met!

I like the map a lot. It has a simple but effective style.
    The mountains and forests are pretty interesting. A very own flavor to them. A bit iconic maybe but i like it.

Tell us a bit about your world, will you?!
    I'm trapped in Darkness,
    Still I reach out for the Stars

Guild Expert Facebook Connected XCali's Avatar

Discuss

Awesome! This is a good map.
    Btw, welcome to the guild.

I like your style of doing the mountains it reminds me a bit of dragon Age 2's art style, which was a lovely art style. Hehe.

Your coastline is good, well done in keeping it more random instead of too straight on the lines or too round. Also your depiction of coastal waters is definitely decent.

The trees are a bit uniform for my tastes. Maybe experiment with different kinds of trees or forests on your maps going forward. (It is always fun to experiment with different new things for maps and keeping the best stuff that comes out of it.)

All in all solid job!

P.S I have quite a few free to use maps in my personal maps or free maps collection, if you are gearing up towards a campaign.

And welcome again! And see you around!
    -Omri

Edit!: I almost forgot! I quite liked your compass. My first map compass was nowhere near that elaborate.
    Last edited by XCali; 09-19-2018 at 03:13 PM.

~ Maps-DriveThruRPG ~Free Maps and Assets ~Current Project~

My web novels
    Instagram handle: instagram.com/omrihope
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ~The heavens declare the glory of God;
    the skies proclaim the work of His hands.
    Day after day they pour forth speech;
    night after night they reveal knowledge.
    ~ Psalm 19

I second Eilathen, your mountains & forests are unusual, but interesting and intriguing. Well done!

Quote Originally Posted by Eilathen View Post
    Greetings to a fellow roleplayer, well met!

I like the map a lot. It has a simple but effective style.
    The mountains and forests are pretty interesting. A very own flavor to them. A bit iconic maybe but i like it.

Tell us a bit about your world, will you?!
    To be honest that is the step I am in now.
    I imagine this region to be much like Washington/Oregon of the pacific north west, probably because that is where I am from lol.
    As for fleshing out some of the more detailed social/political aspects of it.. Still working on that haha

Quote Originally Posted by XCali View Post
    Awesome! This is a good map.
    Btw, welcome to the guild.

I like your style of doing the mountains it reminds me a bit of dragon Age 2's art style, which was a lovely art style. Hehe.

Your coastline is good, well done in keeping it more random instead of too straight on the lines or too round. Also your depiction of coastal waters is definitely decent.

The trees are a bit uniform for my tastes. Maybe experiment with different kinds of trees or forests on your maps going forward. (It is always fun to experiment with different new things for maps and keeping the best stuff that comes out of it.)

All in all solid job!

P.S I have quite a few free to use maps in my personal maps or free maps collection, if you are gearing up towards a campaign.

And welcome again! And see you around!
    -Omri

Edit!: I almost forgot! I quite liked your compass. My first map compass was nowhere near that elaborate.
    Those darn trees took so long to ink and I was not terribly happy with my result. That is one of the things I will take away from this map for sure.

I may have to look up some of your maps!

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Caenwyr's Avatar

jeebus, even if this were your 100th map it would have been a fantastic piece of work. But you're saying this is your first map? Whew, what a wonderful start! Fantastic job, Shu!
    Caenwyr Cartography

Check out my portfolio!

Congrats and welcome, Shu ! It's a pleasure to see you here as well
    What a fantastic map for a first try ! This style looks unique and really promising : I can't wait to see your next map.
    I think you have a small edit to do for labels in the sea : the inner part of the labels (A, O, B...) has the land color instead of the sea color

Guild Expert Facebook Connected XCali's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shu View Post
    Those darn trees took so long to ink and I was not terribly happy with my result. That is one of the things I will take away from this map for sure.

I may have to look up some of your maps!
    Hehehe. I know your pain.
    That is why I hand draw my trees separately from my main maps these days. Then I create an animated brush from a diverse set and go crazy. Though, it does come with the challenge of drawing it in the right size(small enough a lot of the times) for the brush. Also, making sure you have enough variety that it doesn't catch the eye easily.
    One reason is drawing a thousand trees one by one will cause one to cut corners. I saw that happened with my smaller buildings on Thunder Rock. Because there were so many of them needed, I had to cut down on detail for them.

As this is your first map, you are off to a swimming start!!! So, don't worry too much. Just keep drawing.
    Last edited by XCali; 09-20-2018 at 05:01 AM.

~ Maps-DriveThruRPG ~Free Maps and Assets ~Current Project~

My web novels
    Instagram handle: instagram.com/omrihope
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ~The heavens declare the glory of God;
    the skies proclaim the work of His hands.
    Day after day they pour forth speech;
    night after night they reveal knowledge.
    ~ Psalm 19

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast