Thread: The Tiger's Daughter, and the Phoenix Empress maps

Map The Tiger's Daughter, and the Phoenix Empress maps

I got my copies of these two novels today. Here's the map I did for them. The second map is a blow up of the first, with additional information.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TigersDaughtersMap-LROnline.jpg 
Views:	201 
Size:	381.0 KB 
ID:	110269

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	EmpPhoen-Map-OnlineLR.jpg 
Views:	164 
Size:	500.0 KB 
ID:	110270

The novels are by K. Arsenault Rivera and you can check them out here.

I believe there's going to be a third novel in the series.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TigersDaughtersMap-Final-1.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	3.83 MB 
ID:	110268  

I have a special crush for this kind of maps, and I really love the buildings you drew here

I'm always afraid to use just one shade of gray on those maps but hte cleanness of yours is inspirational. that plus the simple elegance of all the elements including the gorgeous icons. Great job !

Quote Originally Posted by MistyBeee View Post
    I have a special crush for this kind of maps, and I really love the buildings you drew here
    Thank you! I recently started following you on instagram, I love your work.

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasR View Post
    I'm always afraid to use just one shade of gray on those maps but the cleanness of yours is inspirational. that plus the simple elegance of all the elements including the gorgeous icons. Great job !
    Thank you!

The majority of the maps I do (90%) are for novels, which don't always have the best grade paper. Depends on the author. In this case, the Designer at Tor books specifically wanted this kind of map, and just one shade of gray, so that map didn't lose legibility when printed. It's something I also consider when making a map, since I worked as a production artists for many years.

Ah ...awesome. I hoped you'd put them here eventually. Because, honestly, sometimes i am pretty annoyed at publishers and how crappy their treatment of maps in ebooks are. This is one case in point. The map in my ebook is absolutely useless. You can't see ****.

So thank you for putting up a decent resolution here on the CG, it is highly appreciated!
    I probably will "bother" the publisher with my annoyance and see if we cannot get them to put up even higher resolution maps on their website.

Anyway...i like the style a lot. Especially for a map dedicated for a fantasy book (aka b/w map and size constraints). Well done. It has a nice flavor.
    I'm trapped in Darkness,
    Still I reach out for the Stars

Quote Originally Posted by Eilathen View Post
    Ah ...awesome. I hoped you'd put them here eventually. Because, honestly, sometimes i am pretty annoyed at publishers and how crappy their treatment of maps in ebooks are. This is one case in point. The map in my ebook is absolutely useless. You can't see ****.
    That's actually a fault of the limitations of the technology. Believe me, they want it to be much better. I've talked with both Tor and Orbit books on ideas for better representation of digital maps. The best they can do right now is put the maps online somewhere. Which is tricky, because people steal things.

One thing I've suggested. Two versions of the same map. A print version with more details and an ebook version, with bigger text and less details.
    Last edited by TimPaul; 09-20-2018 at 10:14 AM.

Its so simple and cleanly executed!

*takes mental snapshot*

Wonderful maps!
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

The maps are great, but I really love the small illustrations scattered around the maps! Those really make it pop!