Thread: Athens, GA

Wip Athens, GA

Some of my friends have been trying to get me to draw a map of our college town before we graduate in the spring, so I began work on it last week. I've never actually finished a city map before, so this is very much a learning process for me.

I started by creating a simple border (that I may replace later) and a placeholder name. I took some screenshots from Google maps and stitched them together in Photoshop. I used this as my reference for where the roads and natural features go. I took many liberties with accuracy in this stage. I don't feel the need for this map to be true-to-life. I just want a nice illustration.

I drew in the roads and started sketching some of the natural environment. After finishing the roads, I realized that it would have been easier to use paths and strokes to get nice even roads, but I was already done. I guess I'll save that trick for next time. I'll probably spend some time cleaning up the roads to make them a bit more attractive a closer level, but that's work for later on.

### Latest WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Athens_WIP1.jpg 
Views:	699 
Size:	4.78 MB 
ID:	110382

Hello AlfansosRevenge,

I like the colours so far! So I guess if I had to suggest something: try and make a palette of just a few colours that work well together and keep to those. Just a splash here or there could really pop

Whatever you do, I look forward to seeing more!
    I have a deviantART and an Instagram! Shiny

Quote Originally Posted by Rochnan View Post
    Hello AlfansosRevenge,

I like the colours so far! So I guess if I had to suggest something: try and make a palette of just a few colours that work well together and keep to those. Just a splash here or there could really pop

Whatever you do, I look forward to seeing more!
    I usually do colors almost last. I'm so close to the beginning that colors aren't something I'll be thinking about for a while. The current colors are purely from the paper texture I'm using. This will get overlayed with shading and color after I've done all of the linework.