Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for cliff/ravine photoshop brushes

Default Looking for cliff/ravine photoshop brushes

Ideally similar in style to the sketchy set of brushes

Did a search for this today and got excited when I saw the title then realized it was my own post from last year...with no replies lol

Still need these if anyone has them

I got nothing. But I'll add it to my list of things to keep an eye out for.

Josh Stolarz has some handy guides on how to draw canyons and how to draw plateaus.

It might be worth looking into.

I can't really imagine setting up a brush for cliffs or ravines since the edges would need to be connected. It would be like trying to set up a brush for rivers. They would have to be the full length of the feature in question, or so I would think given the winding back and forth nature of them. Could be wrong though, I've seen crazier things.
    GW

One's worth is not measured by stature, alone. By heart and honor is One's true value weighed.

Current Non-challenge WIP : Beyond Sosnasib
    Current Lite Challenge WIP : None
    Current Main Challenge WIP : None
    Completed Maps : Various Challenges

Could probably pull it off with a ribbon style brush but I don't think Photoshop supports that, Illustrator could probably do it though. Other World Mapper does have cliff brushes (they are just like an entire cliff), if you bought the program you could swipe them out of the features folder and port them into Photoshop or set up the map in OWM to use them. The set of overland features in there are the closest thing I can think of to an instant-cliff brush, since it has front pieces that can be stacked above or below, and 'top/back' pieces. I find it's not quite enough variation so I prefer to hand-draw in cliffs for most things. The tutorial llnked above is pretty much what I do for canyon sort of things.

Click my banner, behold my art! Fantasy maps for Dungeons and Dragons, RPGS, novels.
    No obligation, free quotes. I also make custom PC / NPC / monster tokens.
    Contact me: calthyechild@gmail.com or _ti_ (Discord) to discuss a map!

Re: KMA Josh Stolarz's tuts - I found these in the past and tried following it but it looks like crap when I do it. I probably only need the slightest bit of artistic ability to do this and I can't make it look good, which is supremely frustrating. This may end up being my best option though

Re: Wolfe - I've seen them before (sort of) in map editors like Inkarnate and Age of Empires. They handle it by giving you 4-8 different directions that seem to fit together like building blocks. At the very least, it would be easy to photoshop them together.

Do you have Adobe Illustrator? I put together a hatchure set awhile back that'd let you recreate something like this.

It's a really specific style, however, so it wouldn't work with every map.
    Last edited by KMAlexander; 10-15-2019 at 03:38 PM.

Hey KM. I don't. I only have Photoshop Elements, which is a slimmed down version of Photoshop. It's also a different style than I was envisioning for the map I'm currently working on, but I appreciate the thought. I was looking at some of your other brushes last week and downloaded a few. You've got some great map elements in there.

I made some cliffs for you, swiss.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CliffBrushes.png 
Views:	51 
Size:	1.33 MB 
ID:	118273

It's done in the style of my Lumbia set, and it's available to download on this Lumbia post. (Link below the button.)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast