Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Little maps for Little Encounters 3

Map Little maps for Little Encounters 3

This is the continuation of my previous Little Maps threads.
    The first thread has 3 maps. The second thread also has 3 maps.

This got started as a bunch of thumbnail sketches for possible larger maps.
    Then I decided to take one of them all the way through to completion.
    It was fun and low stress and just an all around pleasure to do.
    Then I just decided it would be fun to do some random encounters like this.

I've been keeping at it and will eventually have a full series of these.
    They're lot of fun to work on.

Both of these maps were done traditionally.
    Pencil sketch, then ink linework, then design markers for the color.
    Design markers - copics and a mix of other less costly brands i have.
    I do recommend copic sketch design markers. They have a nice brush tip and great flow and blending.
    But... they do cost a lot. And it can be hard to get the colors you want. or need.
    But they do blend better than most all the other design markers I have tried.

First is just a quick fun little river scene.
    Where Rivers Meet
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Where Rivers Meet by jstevenson.jpg 
Views:	178 
Size:	472.9 KB 
ID:	110708

Then we have one that has backstory...
    The House of Barbeg, in the village of Targnod
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	House of Barbeg by jstevenson.jpg 
Views:	160 
Size:	630.2 KB 
ID:	110709

This one follows along with a few other little maps I've already done.
    Those would be Gorberry Hall at Thymevald and Great House of Morgyle.
    These are not in Luma or Nhyn. It's another location that I haven't named yet..
    I have a working name, but it's just not really right, so I haven't shared that name.

Anyways... about this map..
    The House of Barbeg sits on the edge of the village of Targnod,
    somewhere out on the Meadow Road that leads toward Gorberry Hall and into the Forest of Thyme.
    The sleepy little village rests at the open end of the Vale of Flick
    while the river Nain slips through the homes as it winds and meanders its way
    down to the Silver lakes, and then to the sea.

Generations ago, two friends, Oberon Barbeg and Mahum Almunder,
    settled here in, what was then, a small hamlet called the green seat of Targ.
    Oberon was a hearty fellow and blended well within the folk of the green seat.
    Mahum had a deeper eye and often walked a solitary path.

Yet, the friends chose to live close and would go on rambles in the fields and far
    as they walked and talked and toked generous pipes as they went.

Oberon was an industrious and shrewd one and increased the trade to and from Targnod [as it came to be known]
    and the region of the Silver Lakes, in time becoming a respected and well-loved elder of the village.
    He built a tower on the Meadow Road from which he could see the rolling fields
    round about the green seat.

Over time, his descendants added to the structure, which grew into a stately home
    with a private inner courtyard and a second tower, finer than the first.
    The buildings adjacent to the House of Barbeg belong to the Barbeg clan.
    Some serve as residences, while others serve the mercantile interests of the family.

Mahum also built a home here, though it does not appear on this rendering.
    Perhaps that will follow soon, along with more of the history of the green seat of Targ.
    And also the village map too. Maybe some region stuff...
    But that wouldn't be a little map

Cheers, J

Guild Expert

These look great J. There's really not much difference from you're digital to traditional colouring which is really inspiring since I've switched over to drawing on paper myself. I really want to try the copic markers but I can't quite stomach the cost just yet. I'm finding out quickly that traditional methods really aren't cheaper then my photoshop subscription.

Looks great. I should try doing some smaller maps like this. We all should. Maybe I'll do one for today's inktober.
    My new Deviant-thing. I finally caved.

Quote Originally Posted by kacey View Post
    These look great J. There's really not much difference from you're digital to traditional colouring which is really inspiring since I've switched over to drawing on paper myself. I really want to try the copic markers but I can't quite stomach the cost just yet. I'm finding out quickly that traditional methods really aren't cheaper then my photoshop subscription.
    It takes a bit of work to get the look to be sort of consistent. If I had more colors, it would be easier, perhaps.
    You're right - traditional is way more costly, pretty much in every way.
    But, there is a draw to it. You have a physical piece when you're done.
    You can use it for making prints and also have an original to sell, if you're inclined.
    It's also nice to disconnect form the pc... for me it's a desktop, so I am always at my desk.
    I sit on my bed when I do traditional work. At least for drawing with a lapboard [while i listen to crazy podcasts].

The copic sketch markers are costly. No question. I started with just a few warm greys. Then grabbed a few greens.
    My other markers are way cheaper. They're not as good, but they still do the job. sometimes. But they are more streaky, not as smooth blending.
    I can put up links for other stuff I've bought. I'd have to look at all the brands.
    I'm also about to order some other markers to try out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Larb View Post
    Looks great. I should try doing some smaller maps like this. We all should. Maybe I'll do one for today's inktober.
    You should. Little maps are fun. And quick. And fun cus they're quick.
    Not unlike your day 3 inktober piece. I'd love to see what you'd do with traditional work.
    Your linework already lends itself to design markers for shading and color.

I've said my piece elsewhere but I'l redo it here, it is a gorgeous set you have here and your marker skills are as impressive as your digital ones. I can feel you when you talk about leaving the screen behind sometimes, traditional media doesn't kill your eyes Keep them coming !

Nice set John. I like those small maps from you.
    New Horizons
    Fantasy maps and illustrations.

All my non-commisioned maps are FREE for personal use. Get them at my home page New Horizons
    Get more of my maps by becoming my Patreon.

Support:
    Patreon | Tip via PayPal.Me | Buy Me a Coffee

Quote Originally Posted by J.Edward View Post
    You should. Little maps are fun. And quick. And fun cus they're quick.
    Not unlike your day 3 inktober piece. I'd love to see what you'd do with traditional work.
    Your linework already lends itself to design markers for shading and color.
    I did for my day 8 inktober. =P

Actually, the reason I started with digital media is because I wanted to start drawing again (I hadn't bothered for years until I bought a drawing tablet) and digital art doesn't come with the fuss of all the paper and markers and paints and things. I've never actually used anything like copic markers though. Maybe it's something I should look in to. The past year or so haven't been great but I'm starting to get into a proper drawing routine again which I'm happy about.

Oh and the other issue is I'd need to buy a new scanner unless I can still get the drivers for this really old canon one I have. Which is an awesome scanner. But it's pretty old.
    My new Deviant-thing. I finally caved.

Just so cute. The copic markers are more saturated than your other maps and it works really well with your style. Wish I can sit under a tree by the river to read a book

Such small maps with such great care put into them. You are a master at this J. Edward!
    I have a deviantART and an Instagram! Shiny

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasR View Post
    I've said my piece elsewhere but I'l redo it here, it is a gorgeous set you have here and your marker skills are as impressive as your digital ones. I can feel you when you talk about leaving the screen behind sometimes, traditional media doesn't kill your eyes Keep them coming !
    Thanks Thomas
    Yes, I am in front of my computer for way too much time per day.
    Quote Originally Posted by Voolf View Post
    Nice set John. I like those small maps from you.
    Thanks Voolf
    They're fun to do cus they don't last for weeks
    Quote Originally Posted by Larb View Post
    I did for my day 8 inktober. =P

Actually, the reason I started with digital media is because I wanted to start drawing again (I hadn't bothered for years until I bought a drawing tablet) and digital art doesn't come with the fuss of all the paper and markers and paints and things. I've never actually used anything like copic markers though. Maybe it's something I should look in to. The past year or so haven't been great but I'm starting to get into a proper drawing routine again which I'm happy about.

Oh and the other issue is I'd need to buy a new scanner unless I can still get the drivers for this really old canon one I have. Which is an awesome scanner. But it's pretty old.
    I suspected when I saw it over on DA
    That's understandable. I could never just stop working digitally. It has its own appeal and benefits.
    Agreed. Scanner is a key thing. You can get photos witha phone or camera, but you have to be a lot better at taking them, which I'm not.
    Quote Originally Posted by MistyBeee View Post
    Just so cute. The copic markers are more saturated than your other maps and it works really well with your style. Wish I can sit under a tree by the river to read a book
    Thank you Beee
    Yes, there is less choice with the markers, so you end up with colors that are not quite what you would choose normally.
    That would make a nice series of images - places to read a book.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rochnan View Post
    Such small maps with such great care put into them. You are a master at this J. Edward!
    Thank you Rochnan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast