Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Outlander Map of Scotland

I like the new font. I am not sure what it needs or if it needs anything. It matches the style of the other maps at present. It is missing Nessie, though.
    Last edited by Texas Jake; 10-21-2018 at 10:06 PM.

I agree with Gidde. I also am not very good at this type of map, but the one thing I will comment on is that the rivers look to wide at their starting points, maybe have them start narrow and grow wider as they near the ocean.

Guild Expert Guild Supporter aeshnidae's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gidde View Post
    I like the font much better. Can't advise on the other since I'm no good at this sort of map. But the fonts look great
    Thanks, Gidde! I do like this font better. Not only does it match the other maps but Chickpea was right on about the change from all caps to regular caps.

Quote Originally Posted by Texas Jake View Post
    I like the new font. I am not sure what it needs or if it needs anything. It matches the style of the other maps at present. It is missing Nessie, though.
    Oh! That's an excellent point! I definitely need to add Nessie.

Quote Originally Posted by Bogie View Post
    I agree with Gidde. I also am not very good at this type of map, but the one thing I will comment on is that the rivers look to wide at their starting points, maybe have them start narrow and grow wider as they near the ocean.
    Thanks, Bogie. I wondered about that. Any thoughts on the rivers on the other two maps? Should I re-do them?

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

Because of the way the conversation has gone, I went and took a look at the rivers on all three and let me just say no wonder people are so confused about where to put rivers. Ireland and Scotland are both full of weird when it comes to rivers.

On the thickness front, I get how difficult it is to taper them in this style, but I have to agree with Bogie; they need some tapering. It'd look a ton better.

Because of the way the conversation has gone, I went and took a look at the rivers on all three and let me just say no wonder people are so confused about where to put rivers. Ireland and Scotland are both full of weird when it comes to rivers.
    Right?? I'm glad it's not just me! I will work on some tapering.

Okay, I have tapered the rivers to the best of my ability. It definitely looks better so thanks for the suggestion! I've added a few more icons to represent important places in the novels; the fictional places are where I recall them being approximately described in the books, or if their location wasn't described, then wherever they fit nicely.

I decided to use clan names instead of counties, so I got rid of the county lines and added clan names in blue. I'm trying to decide if I should change the font size to make these names smaller than the town/city names or if the different color is good enough.

### Latest WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Outlander map v6 (sm).jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	3.96 MB 
ID:	111047

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

I think the different color differentiates enough. The rivers are looking much better!

The rivers are really better, and the whole map was transformed with this little change. I really love the colors you have there : this grey/blue harmony works very well.
    Oooh ! I just spotted your lovely dragonfly on the Graal ! Did I already told you I love it ? ;opp

This looks really good. The labels help balance out the space in the middle. I noticed that Nessie made an appearance. Fine work.

I think the different color differentiates enough. The rivers are looking much better!
    Thank you for the input on color, I'm glad it's enough because I think it looks balanced. I'm glad I tapered the rivers, it really does look better.

Quote Originally Posted by MistyBeee View Post
    The rivers are really better, and the whole map was transformed with this little change. I really love the colors you have there : this grey/blue harmony works very well.
    Oooh ! I just spotted your lovely dragonfly on the Graal ! Did I already told you I love it ? ;opp
    I love how much you love my dragonfly! Three of the corner pieces are from the front covers of the Outlander books. The second book cover features a dragonfly so it was a perfect match!

Quote Originally Posted by Texas Jake View Post
    This looks really good. The labels help balance out the space in the middle. I noticed that Nessie made an appearance. Fine work.
    Thanks, Texas Jake! Nessie is there thanks to you, and he (she?) is a great little addition to the map!

I added McCaig's Tower to take up some empty space near Oban. It's not important to the Outlander novels but I'm enjoying practicing drawing things. I'm going to try to draw the castle the show uses as Lallybroch and then I think I'll be done unless I find typos or mistakes.

### Latest WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Outlander map v7 (sm).jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	1.83 MB 
ID:	111105

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast