Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: World Map - Akossi (working title)

I think it's ok, you can go for pressure and winds now.

Wip

Ok, so I've finally found the time to work a little more on this map; I've added where I think the pressure centers would go (for both January and July). Yellow shapes are areas of high pressure, green low, red is the ITCZ and blue are the polar fronts. Again, constructive criticism is always welcome!

January:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cg jan pressures.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	1.14 MB 
ID:	111639

July:

Name:	cg july pressures.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	1.14 MB 
ID:	111640

Two things you should have for pressure maps: Geoff's climate cook book and maps of Earth pressure systems in January and July (the two first you search on Google are perfect). Don't forget the STHZ, and add low pressure on continents in summer, high in winter. Here there should not be any low on the biggest continent in July but a huge high, as well as a small one on the smaller one in the southern hemisphere. The small low on the northern continent in July is fine, and you should add a low above the smaller southern continent, which is approximately as big as Africa so still very big (enough for a slight monsoon I think).

Ok so there has been a very long hiatus on this map but don't worry, it's not dead! I've just been bogged down with so much other stuff it's hard to work on any worldbuilding stuff. I've tried to take your suggestions into account, Jean-Abdel, and I've also used the Climate Cookbook to help me. Here are the two revised maps (for clarification, the colors for low and high pressures have been switched from the original map to match those used in the Climate Cookbook: green represents high pressure zones and yellow shows low pressure zones):

January:

Name:	Winkel Tripel Base for Global Maps - jan pressures cg wip.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	1.12 MB 
ID:	112380

and July:

Name:	Winkel Tripel Base for Global Maps - july pressures cg wip.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	1,021.0 KB 
ID:	112381

Jean-Abdel, I also had a couple questions regarding your previous post:
    Quote Originally Posted by Jean-Abdel View Post
    Don't forget the STHZ, and add low pressure on continents in summer, high in winter. Here there should not be any low on the biggest continent in July but a huge high, as well as a small one on the smaller one in the southern hemisphere.
    I'm sort of confused about the huge high on the large continent in July - don't continents in summer generally have lower pressure zones?

The small low on the northern continent in July is fine, and you should add a low above the smaller southern continent, which is approximately as big as Africa so still very big (enough for a slight monsoon I think).
    By above the smaller southern continent do you mean on it (above as in in the atmosphere above it) or physically above it on the map (as in on the ocean). Sorry for the confusion, I just wanna make sure I'm understanding you.

Thanks again for the critique and help! Feel free to critique my newest maps as well.

July in the southern hemisphere is winter, so a low for the big continent, remember that seasons aren't the same in the other hemisphere, so in January so ITCZ extends more to the south joining all the low on the southern continents while the highs are mostly above the oceans (above means in the atmosphere) at roughly 30°S (STHZ) not at all above the continent. In the northern hemisphere, high above the continent and the STHZ, low above the rest of the ocean. Lows and high above the oceans usually have their center far from the coast, east of the longitudinal middle of it. Remember that the most important is seasons on continents, then the STHZ and ITCZ and finally seasons on oceans. Polar front don't really matter, and ice cap on the south pole will probably make it an ever high pressure zone

For July swap north and south applying the same rules. Your maps are ok, you just need to deal with the order of importance I gave earlier, and inner seas are usually neutral so don't need any dot on them.

Wip

Jean-Abdel - Thank you so much for helping me with all this. I'm personally much more interested in biology and anthropology/linguistics when worldbuilding, so it's really nice that you're helping me with this. Also wow for me pressure maps are hard to wrap my head around so hopefully I can actually create one that's decent. Also sorry for all the style changes, red is high and blue is low. Here are my latest (and probably flawed) attempts:

January (thanks for reminding me about how seasons work, oops!):

Name:	pressures are hard jan.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	1.01 MB 
ID:	112435

July:

Name:	pressures are hard july.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	1.01 MB 
ID:	112436

Again thanks a lot for helping me!

Blog Entries

My reply is not about climate, but the elevation map in the Southern Hemisphere is good!
    Especially the lake is good.

Ok, your maps are fine, you can head to wind and precipitations now

Quote Originally Posted by qhqhTerra View Post
    My reply is not about climate, but the elevation map in the Southern Hemisphere is good!
    Especially the lake is good.
    Thanks qhqhTerra, it means a lot having other people on the forum interact with, compliment and critique my map.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast