Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Un-Named World

Blog Entries

Default Un-Named World

So, a fair amount of time has gone by since I posted anything here. The last few attempts was done with GiMP, but I think that is beyond me with my skills with a mouse.

Now, please keep in mind... This might not be the way for me to go either...

Here is a new attempt at map making. Please feel free to critique.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	8526149936152891174.jpg 
Views:	146 
Size:	307.6 KB 
ID:	106746

I know that one of the issues that will likely be pointed out is that I did not leave any room for naming on the map itself. This was not intentional, and I am thinking about scanning the map in to touch it up digitally so that Names, and some better town icons, can be added.
    Last edited by ltan; 05-01-2018 at 10:40 PM. Reason: nb4 no naming space
    -L-

I think you've got the makings of a very nice map here. I like your coastlines, and the mountains are simple but very effective. I have to admit I'm not keen on your hills. Might just be personal taste, but they're a bit too blobby for me. I think they'd look much better if you flattened them slightly and extended the lines out a little at the edges. Otherwise, it's looking good, and I'd like to see an updated version.
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Blog Entries

Thanks ChickPea! I think that you are right with the hills. They look more like birds now that I look at them again

Once I get the sheet scanned in, I will redo those. I wasn't happy with them not being shaded either.

Something more like this?

Name:	hills.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	94.7 KB 
ID:	106757
    Last edited by ltan; 05-02-2018 at 11:23 AM. Reason: Adding hill sample
    -L-

These look much better already! However, if I can make a suggestion...

I (very) quickly made some hills with something you might like to try. See how in the main hill shape the lines are almost horizontal at each end, rather than the roughly semi-circular way you have them. Do you think it looks better and more natural this way? Only a suggestion of course, but perhaps you could try it and see if you like them better in this style.

Name:	hills.png 
Views:	32 
Size:	38.9 KB 
ID:	106767
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Blog Entries

Thanks ChickPea! I will give those a shot here this weekend. Work has been really busy this week!
    -L-

Blog Entries

Another image with hills that I like much more. I don't Think that I have the scale to do what you suggested Chickpea.

Name:	0516182159b.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	5.92 MB 
ID:	107081

Granted, I made more errors with the names, I knew that I would need another version. I think this time I will pencil ✏️, then ink.
    -L-

Blog Entries

So I have been playing around with my map some more, and took to using it as a template for some of the more advanced map techniques that I likely need to put off for now.

Still a lot of work for me to go through and learning primarily. It is my goal to eventually get one map done and be satisfied with my abilities to do them.

Name:	SouthernIsland.png 
Views:	48 
Size:	547.5 KB 
ID:	111147
    -L-

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

Eh, nothing wrong with lots of experimentation until you hit a style you like and are comfortable with!

Not bad at all. The mountain ridge looks quite convincing! The green seems a tad intense, but that could be the brightness on my monitor. Keep up the good work. The only way to really learn is to do.

Blog Entries

Oh, the colors are just those chosen by Wilbur upon import. I haven't gone any farther than that as I want to make sure all of the mountain ranges look decent before moving on.
    -L-

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast