Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Share your early maps!

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

I love this thread. Thanks for posting it, Kell -- reminds us all how far we've come

Boy howdy, this one was bad. This is the first map I ever made, right before I came to the Guild way back when. I posted it up at the time but for some reason all my oldest maps have vanished from the site.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Velaidia.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	380.5 KB 
ID:	111337  

I think this is a pretty cool initiative. So yeah, feast your eyes on my first map.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20180208_124956_744.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	73.4 KB 
ID:	111338

Interestingly enough, I think I started drawing maps to impress someone, pathetically enough. Safe to say, she wasn't particularly impressed, but I did find something that has become an obsession for me, so.... Profit? XD (there, an embarrassing story to accompany an embarrassingly empty map. Enjoy).

That's a lovely idea.
    The first one is a *cough* beauty. It's my VERY first map. NOTHING is older than that. Is it a map, you're wondering, or a jumble of text? I always laugh at this river than crosses the mainland. Do you see, in the top left, the river that draws lips? To be fair I can't remember if it IS a river, or a border. This map, you see, isn't made to make sense.
    The second one is the first map I did after getting Blando's book. I was still getting used to microns. About two years had passed. I must have been trembling, seeing the shakiness of the lines.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	morepoo.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	2.60 MB 
ID:	111353   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	poop.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	862.5 KB 
ID:	111352  

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasR View Post
    My baby ! It's not even finished yet but it is my first map AND my first map here. It lead me to cartography.

Here comes !

Attachment 111336

I'm not even ashamed
    It makes this one even more precious that there actually is an original thread of this here on the forums, what with J and company there welcoming you to the Guild too and all that good stuff! Something great was truly started here!

Quote Originally Posted by MapMappingMapped View Post
    That's a lovely idea.
    The first one is a *cough* beauty. It's my VERY first map. NOTHING is older than that. Is it a map, you're wondering, or a jumble of text? I always laugh at this river than crosses the mainland. Do you see, in the top left, the river that draws lips? To be fair I can't remember if it IS a river, or a border. This map, you see, isn't made to make sense.
    The second one is the first map I did after getting Blando's book. I was still getting used to microns. About two years had passed. I must have been trembling, seeing the shakiness of the lines.
    LOL, okay, apparently the forum placed the attachments in the wrong order, so I opened that first one (really the later one) and was like "get the hell out, NO WAY is this your first map ever" and then looked at the second one and it made way more sense

Thank you, everyone for sharing, this is just fantastic! I think every single one of us can feel good about the progress we've made. Keep 'em coming, folks!
    Homepage | Instagram | Facebook | Artstation
    Just give me liquorice and nobody gets hurt.

Oh boy, I'll have to root around and see what I kind. Some of these are great though.

My first ever map was made for a friend, who had an idea for an epic fantasy story. It also features one of my first custom photoshop brushes as the background texture -one that is still in my set after many years of rotating brushes in and out.
    Ah, the good old days of april 2008...funny how it took me a full ten years to start making maps again.

Name:	Map of Illusia_ink.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	2.16 MB 
ID:	111429
    I have a deviantART and an Instagram! Shiny

So... It sounds I was fated to be a map maker at the begining, guys. Here is my first map ever, which was so incredibly good that it was immediately published in a popular French journal : "les Croqueurs de Pommes" ("the Apples Crunchers").
    Yep.
    Well... ok... I was 5 years old, my grandparents were presidents and editors of the (very specialized) journal and it's popular only in farming community. But well, that was maybe the first step
    Enjoy the first map showing my grandmother's garden. Sadly the map does not show my grandfather's beehives in the other side of the apple orchard, and which, after many deviations, pushed me way, way later, to choose the name you know

Name:	JardinDeMamie_by_MistyBeee.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	376.5 KB 
ID:	111442

Edit : Corrected the age, after discussion with the higher authority : my mother ^^
    Last edited by MistyBeee; 11-13-2018 at 08:43 AM.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

That is awesome, MistyBeee ... love it

Quote Originally Posted by UnstableGunEnthusiast View Post
    Interestingly enough, I think I started drawing maps to impress someone, pathetically enough. Safe to say, she wasn't particularly impressed
    I would've been impressed. She just basic. It's a pretty nice first map.

Click my banner, behold my art! Fantasy maps for Dungeons and Dragons, RPGS, novels.
    No obligation, free quotes. I also make custom PC / NPC / monster tokens.
    Contact me: calthyechild@gmail.com or _ti_ (Discord) to discuss a map!

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Caenwyr's Avatar

Oh wow, this is a cool initiative!

I too have some pretty old maps. And the fun thing is, I've always kept mapping the same region over and over again, so it should be fairly easy to spot the differences in style. This is how my Aran & Ilan map evolved:

Name:	Erhaniell%u00252520%2526%2520Ilya.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	569.3 KB 
ID:	111452 --> Click image for larger version. 

Name:	new%u00252520Aran%2520wi%2520Ilan3.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	430.2 KB 
ID:	111453 --> Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Caenwyr's map.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	2.45 MB 
ID:	111455 --> Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AWI_handdrawn_final_scaled.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	2.51 MB 
ID:	111462 --> Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AWI_handdrawn_overhaul28.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	4.73 MB 
ID:	111456 --> Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Aran_and_Ilan (A5) - FINAL.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	1.38 MB 
ID:	111460
    Caenwyr Cartography

Check out my portfolio!

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast