Thread: Share your early maps!

Blog Entries

I think this one was one of the firsts maps I remember I did... hehe

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5D2C4920-6F5E-460B-B209-FBB15F27E2A1.jpeg 
Views:	75 
Size:	1.93 MB 
ID:	112635

Oh, this is a cool idea for a thread Kell! Love to see the many miles everyone made to this day...

Going through heaps of really old rpg stuff not too long ago, i stumbled upon a map i did with a friend of mine in 6th or 7th grade in school for a fantasy world we were imagining. Scanned it immediately...ah the memories XD

Name:	Mapfrombackinthedays.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	5.08 MB 
ID:	112640

Around 2006 i came across the idea to create maps digitally for the first time ... Ressources and knowhow were scarce to find around the web and the functioning of layers in gimp totally blew my mindback then

Name:	World_by_AbuLafia.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	305.1 KB 
ID:	112641

First bigger and more ambitious project was the revamp of that older map into "Kharoun" in 2015 with the patient help and feedback of some wonderful Guildies...

Name:	Kharoun_lowres_by_AbuLafia.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	4.64 MB 
ID:	112642

EDIT: Maybe it's time for another revamp soon...
    Last edited by Abu Lafia; 01-14-2019 at 01:33 PM.
    Map is not territory...
    Current work in progress:Korobrom | My finished maps
    My DeviantArt site and Twitter

Cool stuff, Abu! Thanks for contributing

That's actually not a bad idea, you know. Take the time to re-create an early map, maybe even one I've posted in this thread... Could be fun.
    Homepage | Instagram | Facebook | Artstation
    Just give me liquorice and nobody gets hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by Kellerica View Post
    Cool stuff, Abu! Thanks for contributing

That's actually not a bad idea, you know. Take the time to re-create an early map, maybe even one I've posted in this thread... Could be fun.
    Flips back to see what I shared....
    That could be fun. Maybe posting them in a new thread...
    or it may get hard to find things here. That said, i suppose it can go however you'd prefer, Kell, as you started this.
    Which map will you choose? I could easily do a dungeon... but High Horn Keep calls to me, throw the ages.....

Quote Originally Posted by J.Edward View Post
    Flips back to see what I shared....
    That could be fun. Maybe posting them in a new thread...
    or it may get hard to find things here. That said, i suppose it can go however you'd prefer, Kell, as you started this.
    Which map will you choose? I could easily do a dungeon... but High Horn Keep calls to me, throw the ages.....
    If you want my vote, I'd love to see what you'd be able to do with High Horn Keep these days!

Quote Originally Posted by Kellerica View Post
    If you want my vote, I'd love to see what you'd be able to do with High Horn Keep these days!
    I have already begun
    It's ... different. I can't say if it still has the crazy feel of the first one.
    But, it'll be interesting, at the least.
    I hope some others will do this. I'd love to see what things people would choose, and how they'd redo it now.

High Horn Keep reminds me of a Ron Cobb concept for Conan the Barbarian

Quote Originally Posted by J.Edward View Post
    I have already begun
    It's ... different. I can't say if it still has the crazy feel of the first one.
    But, it'll be interesting, at the least.
    I hope some others will do this. I'd love to see what things people would choose, and how they'd redo it now.
    I am tempted to give something a try.
    My new Deviant-thing. I finally caved.

Blog Entries

Hey there,

Just seen this thread so I thought I'd join in.

Here is the very first map I did, other than doodles when I was a kid. It was a sketch in a notebook that I made to help me with the story I had begun to dream up. I would estimate this was around 27 years ago as I remember describing the story to a friend of mine at the time of an important occasion.

Name:	Vaniya Sketch.JPG 
Views:	35 
Size:	1.76 MB 
ID:	112872

I worked on the story, on-and-off, for many years, first in notebooks, then an old IBM 8088xt computer I bought as a word processor, then on my first real pc - a 488 DX2 66! Phew. Then I kind of drifted from it.

Years pass and I finally pick it up again but I couldn't find the notebook. So I look into making a new map, digitally. At first I tried campaign cartographer, bought it and everything, but I didn't like the results. So I looked around for tutorials on how to use photoshop and found this place.
    Through various tutorials and a bunch of great feedback I ended up with my first digital map:

Name:	Vaniya16.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	2.26 MB 
ID:	112874

It was well received at the time but honestly, I can barely stand to look at it now. :S

I've obviously found the notebook since and it's kind of embarrassing how much I had forgotten and got wrong when I redrew the map. Although some of it I changed on purpose. I knew the original had 6 countries around the 'Mite' and reduced it to three in the update. And I knew there was a top to the map but I wanted the digital version to be bigger and expandable.

Anyway, now the original sketch is 'unofficial' and 'not canon' I guess when I think of my world. Seems weird.
    Royal: I'm very sorry for your loss, your mother was a terribly attractive woman.

My Cartographer's Guild maps: Finished Maps

More maps viewable at my DeviantArt page: Ramah-Palmer DeviantArt

Ooh, cool to see you chiming in, Ramah! Even though I was madly impressed by that first Vaniya map when I first saw it (it was in fact one of my my most early inspirations and in no small part responsible for really getting me into mapping!), I think it's clear how much your maps have improved since this one. It's been a blast seeing this world develop this far. And I do hope you'll eventually get back to that new map you started last year...

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast