Thread: I Got a New Game, Now All I Want to Do is Map.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

Default I Got a New Game, Now All I Want to Do is Map.

Posting this up on the Guild because I can't be the only person who likes this intersection of video games and mapping.

Someone has (FINALLY) made a medieval city-building game. Foundation is currently in alpha and due for early access release on Steam sometime next year, but funding their kickstarter gets you access to the alpha. And I have zero patience. So I fired up the alpha and have been having a blast.

Unfortunately, this really fun game is just giving me the uncontrollable desire to just draw a city map instead!! Which I have always failed hard at, lol. I see a city map in my future soon anyway.

Neat. What I'd really like to see is a city building game like Simcity or City Skylines only set in the ancient, medieval, or renaissance period. There are a few older games like that, but nothing recent I can think of.

Yeah, this one is a lot more micromanaged in some ways than Cities:Skylines (you actually designate professions to people, for example, and have to manage supply chains) and a lot less in other ways (you can't say where the roads go, only the buildings).

Quote Originally Posted by Falconius View Post
    Neat. What I'd really like to see is a city building game like Simcity or City Skylines only set in the ancient, medieval, or renaissance period. There are a few older games like that, but nothing recent I can think of.
    The only one I've found that gets even close is Anno1404. It has the added bonus that you can build both a European and a Middle Eastern style city.

Wingshaw

Formerly TheHoarseWhisperer

Guild Apprentice S. E. Davidson's Avatar

Very cool. I love city building games as well and will definitely be checking this out. Good luck with your maps and thanks for sharing the link!

You could look in to Banished - it's pretty nice city building game. Sort of more of a starvation simulator though because you tend to always be focused on managing the food supply. =P
    My new Deviant-thing. I finally caved.

The game look promising.

Quote Originally Posted by Larb View Post
    You could look in to Banished - it's pretty nice city building game. Sort of more of a starvation simulator though because you tend to always be focused on managing the food supply. =P
    At some point, there a plague. People start dying. The supply chain breaks. Then more people die.
    Actually I had a game where everyone died of starvation, except one person, who eventually died of old age.
    The main problem was that my city had become to large for my computer to handle. It spiralled out of control and everybody starved to death. It's an amazing game.

There's the Settler series, which I haven't really played.
    There's also Kingdom and castle: a fun little game but get repetitive quite fast.

Yeah, I played Banished. I don't remember what it was that made me stop, I just remember I didn't like it much. This one is more a city builder and less a survival challenge.

For survival challenge (although it isn't medieval without mods) you can't beat RimWorld.

Looks interesting. I love Sim City and Cities:Skylines so might check this one out too. If it has a focus on the aesthetic development of a city I'd be especially pleased. When I play city sims I seem to spend as much time deciding on tree placement as managing budgets

My citizens never seemed as pleased tho. They usually migrated pretty quickly...

I've had tons of false starts so far lol, but once I have a town looking cool I'll post up a pic. It's somewhat mappish ...