Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: File Upload size issues?

Help File Upload size issues?

I seem to be hitting the wall at 2MB for png and jpg files. Anything larger isn't accepted.

I was inactive for a long time and it feels like I still have file limit restrictions from way back when...

Any suggestions?

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

Hi bkh ... I just wanted to drop in and say you are not ignored; unfortunately only a very few of us are really knowledgeable about the technical side of the forums. Hang in there.

It's written somewhere and if I remember correctly, the normal limit is around 10 mb.
    Here's the post: https://cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=33888

Also note that having very large images (a lot of pixels) may not upload, for some reason.

Thanks for the responses.

I first bumped into the problem when the png version of an image wouldn't upload, but the jpg version would (png size 2.2MB; jpg 1.9MB)

My current file is about 3MB and 6000 x 5650 px.
    I've seen the pixel limits mentioned before, but couldn't find the current limit. (Robbie's file size post doesn't mention it.)
    Based on other images I've seen here, I think I'm well within the pixel limit.

I suspect that this is something that one of the Admins needs to look at. i.e. Redrobes or Robbie
    Last edited by bkh1914; 11-14-2018 at 09:18 PM.

I thought ( and I am probably wrong about this) that there was like a 16 megapixel limit. Seems like this came up during the Caves of Chaos Challenge and the initial 300 PX per inch requirement that was eventually bumped down so that some of the areas wouldn't exceed the pixel size limit. Then again my maps are very rarely that large so it has never been a problem for me. The only upload problems I ever had was back in the days of my old dial-up connection and timing out before the upload could complete.
    Last edited by Greason Wolfe; 11-14-2018 at 10:57 PM.
    GW

One's worth is not measured by stature, alone. By heart and honor is One's true value weighed.

Current Non-challenge WIP : Beyond Sosnasib
    Current Lite Challenge WIP : None
    Current Main Challenge WIP : None
    Completed Maps : Various Challenges

Your map should have no problem uploading. There must be something causing the issue.
    Are you working in RGB or CMYK?

I can't remember if it was this website or another, but I remember having problems loading images that had symbols in the name, # " ' etc.

I know I uploaded a 5.2 just the other day and that was huge. It's odd that the jpg would work but the png not but, I wouldn't be surprised.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Blog Entries

In a post message there is the manage attachments. On that new window there is a blue circle with a '?' in it top right. If you click that then it shows the acceptable attachment types with their pixel sizes and MB size limits. But it says for me that there are no pixel dimension limits and about 9.54 MB for png. If you could use that and tell us whether you see different limits and these are not bigger than you image then ill look into it some more. But at this point I dont know why its saying that it wont upload it.

Thanks for the reply, Redrobes.

Clicking on the blue question mark gave the standard current file limits.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	screenshot 1.png 
Views:	45 
Size:	10.9 KB 
ID:	111490

Here is the file I was trying to upload. A very vanilla file name and only 3.1MB.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	screenshot 2.png 
Views:	34 
Size:	9.8 KB 
ID:	111491

I just tried it again and it failed.
    After the file upload was complete, the upload window switched to 'waiting for chartographersguild' status and remained that way until the communication timed out.

The 'problem' file and the above attachments were all created in GIMP 2.8, so I wouldn't expect an issue there.

Would it help if you logged in as me?
    Last edited by bkh1914; 11-15-2018 at 12:01 PM. Reason: additional information

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast