Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Nov/Dec '18 Lite Challenge - The Sanctuary of Qa'luk Sak Tan

Now live on Flinders Island in the Bass Strait between mainland Australia and Tasmania (40deg lat)
    Blog Entries

I absolutely love this map - so evocative.
    "To imagine is to be human; to be human is to imagine. We are the music makers, we are the dreamers of dreams."

Quote Originally Posted by Quenten View Post
    I absolutely love this map - so evocative.
    Thanks Quenten
    ### Latest WIP ###
    Still battling the forests, I'll take a break from them and paint the ground shadows. This is making me realise I should save up for at least a cheap tablet.
    Edit - I am such a comedian . I forgot the attachment first time 'round.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	thesanctuaryyyytest.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	1.33 MB 
ID:	111659  

I'm struggling with the shadows. I have no sense of them, and I'm still playing with them. Do you think the shadows placed in the lower ruins make sense? I'm mostly frustrated at the strange structure with the arched entrances...### Latest WIP ###

Name:	thesanctuaryyyy.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	998.1 KB 
ID:	111708  

Guild Adept Facebook Connected Mimine's Avatar

That's wonderful work! For the shadows, it always helps me to draw the light source! Sometimes, a bit of visualization helps a lot! https://scratch.mit.edu/projects/16005906/ I found this little simulator online, it can help you with the direction of your shadows depending on the location of your light source. On your structures, don't forget that all of your shadows should go in the same direction, since I think you only have one light source (the sun). Try making the experiment at home! Take a light source and an object that could be of similar shape as your buildings and try moving it under the light to see how the shadow moves.
    Si tu n'as rien fait pour ton rêve aujourd'hui, est-ce que c'est vraiment ton rêve? - Fred Pellerin

Twitter -> https://twitter.com/benoit_janie

I am not good at drawing but I am good at geometry, so here is a couple things I see with the shadows.

Using the large rectangular building as a reference, the red arrow shows the direction of the sun. All shadows will be based on that direction.
    the two shadows I circled in blue would not exist because the stairs and the slanted wall are a flatter angle than the sun so no shadow, almost as if it were a flat plane. the part of the building I circled in green would cast a shadow on the top 3 or 4 stairs and the stairs where I drew a yellow line would cast a shadow but the shadow would stop where the yellow line is.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Shadows.jpg 
Size:	592.0 KB 
ID:	111729

Quote Originally Posted by Mimine View Post
    That's wonderful work! For the shadows, it always helps me to draw the light source! Sometimes, a bit of visualization helps a lot! https://scratch.mit.edu/projects/16005906/ I found this little simulator online, it can help you with the direction of your shadows depending on the location of your light source. On your structures, don't forget that all of your shadows should go in the same direction, since I think you only have one light source (the sun). Try making the experiment at home! Take a light source and an object that could be of similar shape as your buildings and try moving it under the light to see how the shadow moves.
    Thank you! Tbh I did the dumb thing of not deciding where my sun was exactly... Now I realise my silly mistake.

Quote Originally Posted by Bogie View Post
    I am not good at drawing but I am good at geometry, so here is a couple things I see with the shadows.

Using the large rectangular building as a reference, the red arrow shows the direction of the sun. All shadows will be based on that direction.
    the two shadows I circled in blue would not exist because the stairs and the slanted wall are a flatter angle than the sun so no shadow, almost as if it were a flat plane. the part of the building I circled in green would cast a shadow on the top 3 or 4 stairs and the stairs where I drew a yellow line would cast a shadow but the shadow would stop where the yellow line is.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Shadows.jpg 
Size:	592.0 KB 
ID:	111729
    Thank you Bogie! Now that you point them out, I laugh (and redden) at the incredible simplicity of my mistakes! I'll delete that layer and keep my brains together when I get working. Thanks for the pic!

Quote Originally Posted by MapMappingMapped View Post
    Thank you Bogie! Now that you point them out, I laugh (and redden) at the incredible simplicity of my mistakes! I'll delete that layer and keep my brains together when I get working. Thanks for the pic!
    No worries, I couldn't even begin to draw what you have created here, I'm just good at geometry.

Guild Adept Facebook Connected Mimine's Avatar

I second Bogie. The technical elements I understand, now to draw them as you do is not the same game
    Si tu n'as rien fait pour ton rêve aujourd'hui, est-ce que c'est vraiment ton rêve? - Fred Pellerin

Twitter -> https://twitter.com/benoit_janie

But it's still very important!
    No WIP for now, I've been away from the map for a few days..

### Latest WIP ###
    Hmm... I have two things bothering me...I've been banging around with the shadows for the odd structure in the bottom right, (with the arches) and they never look right. And the large pyramid at the top of the hill, do you think the walls are too slanted to cause shadows?I'm spending too much time on the shadows,I need to move on to the hill and final details...
    EDIT - ooops, wrong pic - sorted it now

Name:	thesanctuaryyyy.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	1.10 MB 
ID:	111824  
    Last edited by MapMappingMapped; 12-04-2018 at 07:09 AM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast