Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Nov/Dec '18 Lite Challenge - The Sanctuary of Qa'luk Sak Tan

Default Nov/Dec '18 Lite Challenge - The Sanctuary of Qa'luk Sak Tan

Deep in the wild, an abandoned, vine filled complex ages. It is a relic of an ancient civilization now long gone. The paint that once adorned the old walls have been replaced with moss and ivy, but if it wasn't for the occasional local visitor the ruins would look like hills of green and thorns. This, with it's walls of cracked plaster and grey pillars, is the forgotten sanctuary of Qa'luk Sak Tan, called Orik by the Rednallians and the former by the people of Chuyun. The Chuyun make sure to keep alive the remnants of their ancestors' prestige, and it is their job to clear away the excess growth of vines and ivy, roots and trees. Yet Qa'luk Sak Tan is still claimed by the wild, which is faster than anything.
    The sanctuary is the most famous ruins in Rednall, remnant of the civilization that once inhabited its land. Many greater, awe-inspiring ruins rest in the mountains, but this is the only one that the Chuyun have failed to keep unknown.
    I have almost finished the linework, but critique is more than welcome. My plan is to colour it in Gimp (long time no see, digital-world), with a palette similar to that used, by, say Torstan or Eri. This is located in my world of Meralyd, for another of my novels, and I came up with the full idea after the challenge was put up. I worked all yesterday on this, but I still kinda rushed on the trees heh. (Also,I kept forgetting not to draw straight lines for the base of buildings, but grassy tufts...)
    I present the sanctuary of Qa'luk Sak Tan- the 'Place of the Scowling Demons'.
    ### Latest WIP ###
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	thesanctuary.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	2.23 MB 
ID:	111578  

Great start MMM, can't wait to see it colored. Welcome to your Challenge, it appears to be a very popular topic.

Ooooo, I look forward to seeing how this progresses.

Thanks a bunch, Bogie, JsinOwl! I'm still messing about with the colour... not sure what works best.

### Latest WIP ###
    Messing around with the colours indeed. The forests are really hard to do, and it doesn't help that I'm using a mouse. Ouch.
    Lots left to do, this is just a basic 'sketch' to get my mind wheeling. Not sure about the color for the grass too, and the best way to depict ivy on the walls.

Name:	thesanctuaryyyytest.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	1.12 MB 
ID:	111608  

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

Sketch or no, it's looking pretty darn cool!

Quote Originally Posted by Gidde View Post
    Sketch or no, it's looking pretty darn cool!
    Thanks Gidde .
    ### Latest WIP ###
    Deleted the forest layers and painted them again, but still not happy with 'em...

Name:	thesanctuaryyyytest.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	1.12 MB 
ID:	111609  

Lovin the colors, maybe have the forest in between the 1st & 2nd versions.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

I really like the grungy texture of the forest color, and the variation. What is getting to me are the pure green spots. Maybe try a little bit of a lighter and darker green to give a bit of shade variation as well? Some highlights and lowlights, as it were.

Quote Originally Posted by Bogie View Post
    Lovin the colors, maybe have the forest in between the 1st & 2nd versions.
    Thanks Bogie, I'll see with the opacity!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gidde View Post
    I really like the grungy texture of the forest color, and the variation. What is getting to me are the pure green spots. Maybe try a little bit of a lighter and darker green to give a bit of shade variation as well? Some highlights and lowlights, as it were.
    Thanks Gidde. I'm still messing around with that, trying to find a way to make shadows that fade gradually rather than make a big dark bundle. It's quite a pain with the mouse!
    No WIP - for now.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast